• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New sx195 vs used 212x

JohnEUtah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Hi I’m new t the group and looking for a little advice. I’ve had a small sugar Sand Jet boat about 8 years and Im looking to upgrade to a Yamaha. I am comfortable at about a 35k budget. The two boats I’m looking at are a new sx195 and a used 2013 212x. The kids are in their teens now and love to ski and tube. We haven’t tried the wake boarding yet (obviously the benefit to the 212x) but the kids are interested in it. My dilemma comes with buying a new boat with warranty etc vs buying a 6 year old bigger, higher quality boat. Prices are similar 33k for the used boat and 35k for the new.. any advice appreciated

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My opinion is definitely go used. As long as the 212X was maintained there is little to go wrong. You and your kids will not regret having a bigger watersports boat. However, do factor in the tow vehicle as the 212X is going to need a half ton truck.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO $35K for a 195 is a lot of money.
I know the Yamaha dealer in Gulf Shores Al. is selling his 2018 195's for $29,999 out the door.
He's had them on Ebay with no luck for the past month.
I almost bought one but just to far away.

JohnEUtah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Thank you for your reply. The 212x is in very good condition. It’s got 180 hrs on it and the previous user was an avid boarder so I know a lot of those hours are at low speed boarding. I am towing with a ‘14 grand Cherokee with 6200 lb rating. Typically about 50 miles but just twice a year, once to put it in and once to pull it out (fingers crossed with no mechanical issues). I am thinking I’m in good shape but if someone knows differently please lmk.

Any other input or suggestions appreciated.

JohnEUtah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Thank you Dwrat.. I will check out eBay today.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JohnEUtah Sounds like you are good on towing. I love the new 19fters but in this situation would 100% go 212x used. It has 1.8 engines. Maintenance is the key but sounds like you are buying from an experienced boater.
The only reason I would consider a 195 would be storage - those fit in many garages. I would highly recommend getting a boat with a tower these days, for many reasons.

Good luck with the purchase and post pics!

--

afsigma21

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
In your situation look at it this way.

The 212X can do EVERYTHING the 195 can except fit in your standard 7' tall garage door.

The 195 CANNOT do everything the 212X can.

I am pretty sure the 195 uses premium fuel and the 212X does not, so fuel cost will be very similar. Your Tow vehicle is plenty. 180 hours is NOTHING on these boats.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I concur. We would have gone bigger if we didn't want to fit in the garage when we got home. The fuel usage of 93 vs 87 is what sold us on the 190 vs 195, but comparing 93 single to 87 duals, you're probably a wash there.

We're actually debating on modifying the garage now to fit a 212X. We have the ceiling height, width, and length available, but not the door height. Raising the header on a brick faced opening isn't trivial though :(

JohnEUtah

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
GT
Boat Length
Thank you all for your input, it sounds unanimous that I should go with the bigger boat. Storage and towing is not an issue, my only real delemma was new vs 6 years old for roughly the same money. I’m gonna try to make the 212x deal work, thanks again for ur input

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
We want pictures of your smiling family when you buy your boat.:)