• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New SX250 owner

ragingrhino

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I did it. I put a deposit down on a new 24 SX250!!! First time boat owner so im a newbie here and to the jet boat community. Ive driven boats before but only friends boats and rentals and they were all outboards. I go to the dealership tomorrow to sign the paperwork and haul it off the lot. So incredibly pumped.

So what are general tips you guys can offer me? Tips on what I should check on before I leave the dealership or before launching or anything in general.

Ive watched a massive amount of youtube videos and I've already started getting all the necessities for owning a boat(life jackets, fire extinguisher, anchors, dock lines, anchor lines, fenders, etc). Ive been reading posts here and again with some experience I have with boats I have a little confidence in what Im doing.

Happy to be here and cant wait to get on the water.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum and soon jet boat life! Great resource on here as you’ve seen if you’ve visited the FAQ section!

Take your time learning how to maneuver the boat, it’s a totally different experience. Once you get the hang of it you’ll be great! I’d recommend steering enhancements like cobra jet steering or jet boat pilot thrust vectors, these or for your slow speed handling for the most part. So remember slow is smooth, smooth is fast; only go as fast as you wanna hit something.

Two batteries are better than one! Think about a second bilge in the future, or a high water alarm in the nearer future.

Trailer guide posts are a great investment!

Have a set routine putting in the water and taking out.

Have a nice pocket knife and some small pliers handy to clear anything you suck up into the pumps.

Lastly, this is probably one of the most critical pieces of advice. When running on the hose: Engine on, attach hose with running water. When turning off while running on the hose: water off, then engine off. If you have to be towed due to total engine failures: clamp off water cooling lines so water doesn’t backfill into the cylinders, and place throttles in forward detents. If you are limping back to the dock on one engine due to failure, you should safely be able to go at no wake speed and not backfill into your broken down engine, but better safe to clamp off the water cooling lines of the non-running engine. If you ever suspect water has gotten into an engine never turn it over.

ragingrhino

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum and soon jet boat life! Great resource on here as you’ve seen if you’ve visited the FAQ section!

Take your time learning how to maneuver the boat, it’s a totally different experience. Once you get the hang of it you’ll be great! I’d recommend steering enhancements like cobra jet steering or jet boat pilot thrust vectors, these or for your slow speed handling for the most part. So remember slow is smooth, smooth is fast; only go as fast as you wanna hit something.

Two batteries are better than one! Think about a second bilge in the future, or a high water alarm in the nearer future.

Trailer guide posts are a great investment!

Have a set routine putting in the water and taking out.

Have a nice pocket knife and some small pliers handy to clear anything you suck up into the pumps.

Lastly, this is probably one of the most critical pieces of advice. When running on the hose: Engine on, attach hose with running water. When turning off while running on the hose: water off, then engine off. If you have to be towed due to total engine failures: clamp off water cooling lines so water doesn’t backfill into the cylinders, and place throttles in forward detents. If you are limping back to the dock on one engine due to failure, you should safely be able to go at no wake speed and not backfill into your broken down engine, but better safe to clamp off the water cooling lines of the non-running engine. If you ever suspect water has gotten into an engine never turn it over.
Thank you.

A couple questions. What will the steering and thrust vectors do exactly? Are they just for docking/loading? Also my boat has two batteries already so i think im good there but do I need a second bilge pump? Great suggestion on the pliers and knife. Have a few of both laying around and now ill designate one of each for the boat.

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you.

A couple questions. What will the steering and thrust vectors do exactly? Are they just for docking/loading? Also my boat has two batteries already so i think im good there but do I need a second bilge pump? Great suggestion on the pliers and knife. Have a few of both laying around and now ill designate one of each for the boat.
They help with low speed handling, 99% will say they make a major difference with less wandering at slow speeds. Search videos on YouTube, there’s plenty on there comparing the two! A second bilge is just peace of mind since our bilges are automatic and have no float, so they are sensing every 5 minutes or so. Not entirely needed though!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My suggestion on aftermarket steering Cobra or JBP products:

You don't need them if you will always be the captain. Yes there's a learning curve, but twin engine jets are nimble AF when you pilot them enough.

HOWEVER

If there's a chance that someone else will need to pilot the boat to pull you during water sports activities, or take the boat on/off the trailer, or for any other reason, they are worth their weight in gold.

I came from inboards/IOs/outboards before buying my first jet boat, and I bought the cobras because I wanted my wife to be able to steadily and confidently steer the boat at low speeds in the 1-3% time she actually drives it. For me, I don't need them - I can crab walk the boat against the wind into a parking spot - but for someone else they are REALLY effective in giving better steering reaction and, more importantly, confidence.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome! We need pictures of that beast.