• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Yamaha

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi everyone. Thanks for letting me in. I am about to purchase a 2008 Yamaha SX 230 but haven’t seen it yet. These boats are selling fast as of now and probably always have. My question is whats a good price on one of these with trailer. I look up NADA and is well short of the asking price. Wouldn’t NADA know all the standard equipment that came on the SX as a fully loaded boat already to factor into the price. The owner says its in very good to excellent condition. We do not know hours and I have purchased the YDS tool to scan the engines with the laptop when we see it. Not located near a dealer to have them scan. What would be a reasonable amount of hours for a 2008 model? Thanks

Acard7

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One of the guys I talk to just picked up the same SX230 for around $24k, and he had to drive quite a ways to get it. The boat was just freshwater use as well if that matters. Like you said, boats are flying off the market, so trying to get the best price for yourself is probably going to be hard. Everyone on here has always said they would rather have more hours on it than very little because if they sit for awhile the engines and parts don't get lubricated and used like they should and things tend to go downhill from there. I would assume anywhere from 300-500hrs is going to be reasonable.. The Yamaha engines are known to go 1500+ hours in their lifetime. Hopefully the SX230 you're looking at is equipped with the High Output engines! If not oh well, still a great boat! Good luck, and if you get it post some pictures!!

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of the guys I talk to just picked up the same SX230 for around $24k, and he had to drive quite a ways to get it. The boat was just freshwater use as well if that matters. Like you said, boats are flying off the market, so trying to get the best price for yourself is probably going to be hard. Everyone on here has always said they would rather have more hours on it than very little because if they sit for awhile the engines and parts don't get lubricated and used like they should and things tend to go downhill from there. I would assume anywhere from 300-500hrs is going to be reasonable.. The Yamaha engines are known to go 1500+ hours in their lifetime. Hopefully the SX230 you're looking at is equipped with the High Output engines! If not oh well, still a great boat! Good luck, and if you get it post some pictures!!
Will do, thanks for the great info! And yes the one Im checking out has HO engines.

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Should I do a compression test on the engines prior to a sea trial? Or just take it out and test performance of the engines and if all good and not suspicious of any issue just bypass the compression test after sea trial? What would you do? There will be fresh plugs installed and oil change done prior.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Compression test for sure!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I look up NADA and is well short of the asking price. Wouldn’t NADA know all the standard equipment that came on the SX as a fully loaded boat already to factor into the price.
Here is my common answer to folks second-guessing NADA. NADA is based on actual sales in dealerships, in or near the Zipcode entered. And it does include the standard options, including the trailer on a Yamaha.

It's the sellers that don't want to agree with it, when it is a sellers market. They will add on trailer, stereo, bimini etc when all of those are included. And NADA has reflected COVID Pricing. It will never reflect COVID asking prices, thank God! This over inflated market does not need another source of false information. Asking and closing are two different numbers almost always.

Last edited:

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is my common answer to folks second-guessing NADA. NADA is based on actual sales in dealerships, in or near the Zipcode entered. And it does include the standard options, including the trailer on a Yamaha.

It's the sellers that don't want to agree with it, when it is a sellers market. They will add on trailer, stereo, bimini etc when all of those are included. And NADA has reflected COVID Pricing. It will never reflect COVID asking prices, thank God! This over inflated market does not need another source of false information. Asking and closing are two different numbers almost always.
You and I dealt with this first hand back in 2019. Folks did not like to be compared to NADA, for some reason.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You and I dealt with this first hand back in 2019. Folks did not like to be compared to NADA, for some reason.

Quick update, Thats and I just checked now if NADA has updated pricing during COVID and yes it has. The boat he purchased is literally showing up on NADA $6,000 higher, than what it listed it's used value for 1.5 years ago!! So yes, it is based on actual sales and adjusted for this silly market. WOW.

For comparison, we are talking about a $14,000 boat now showing a $20K value. So it would be relative to a $30K boat now showing over $40K

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Quick update, Thats and I just checked now if NADA has updated pricing during COVID and yes it has. The boat he purchased is literally showing up on NADA $6,000 higher, than what it listed it's used value for 1.5 years ago!! So yes, it is based on actual sales and adjusted for this silly market. WOW.

For comparison, we are talking about a $14,000 boat now showing a $20K value. So it would be relative to a $30K boat now showing over $40K

So who wants a 2007 AR210 with brand new cushions? ;)

/s

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So who wants a 2007 AR210 with brand new cushions? ;)

/s
What are you asking for it? Id rather have the HOs and the option for a porta potty for kids and wife but we are still considering a 210.

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

After seeing some video of the boat I may pass on the 9 hours of travel to get this boat back home. Not in the condition he stated earlier which was 9.5/10. Yup I got my hopes up. Is about a 7 maybe Im my eyes. Gelcoat color is fading out. Decals are all narded up. One vinyl piece has a cut. A possible crack on the engine hatch top plate area. Sellers firm in the mid 20s. Im thinking closer to 20 in the condition its in. If it was a 9.5 It would be a done deal.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your better off that boat sounds abused and not taken care of..changing oil pior to you looking at it, not a good sign..Good luck in your search.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Probably from power loading onto the trailer and the trailer wasn't deep enough in the water so the bunks were dry when loading. If you don't dunk the bunks, they can rub/scratch the bottom over time.

Thats

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
What are you asking for it? Id rather have the HOs and the option for a porta potty for kids and wife but we are still considering a 210.
Sorry, was joking.

Brewtus41

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have a lead on one for a price I'm willing to pay. Im praying it will work out!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Probably from power loading onto the trailer and the trailer wasn't deep enough in the water so the bunks were dry when loading. If you don't dunk the bunks, they can rub/scratch the bottom over time.
I would agree with that. Sand on the bunks is most common. As they sit at a landing, they will get sand on them. Or backing the boat under power will blow piles of sand onto the bunks as well. Dunking them before loading is important.

That being said, those buff out pretty easily if it bothered someone. They are much more noticeable on a colored hull.