• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

New Turbo Installation.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The turbo on my tow rig, decided it did not want to work properly anymore. Its variable veins were not being variable anymore so I decided it was time to get rid of that failure prone design and upgrade to a much larger fixed vein turbo for a lot larger power potential as well as much better long term reliability. I wound up going with a 2nd generation style S467 swap. It uses a second generation (12 valve and 24 valve Cummins) exhaust manifold and a T4 based turbo. The turbo is a 67/83/.90 Borg Warner. Anyway enough talking about it, pictures are the fun part.

Starting tear down:

Something is missing!!

There it is.

New Turbo in its new home.

All buttoned up and ready to whistle!

And had to install a real boost gauge because the factory MAP sensor the CTS uses only reads up to 36 PSI and this turbo can produce up into the 50s.

Anyone thinking about doing it or have questions feel free to ask.

Holy Hell that's a big turbo! Now you're just gonna have to watch that you don't pull the trailer out from under the boat. Great work @PolarXJ.

Nice job. Was it the original and is this normal to replace for a 2007? I would like to hear what you have done to your WRX seeing what you are capable of... that's serious wrenching.

WOW @PolarXJ ! NICE ! Thks for all of the photos ....... Mikey !@

Nice job. What tuning do you run an di you have to change it with the new turbo?

@DCB-270 I am running EFI Live by Kory at PPEI (Not the same as PPE) with a CSP5 switch. Yes I had to get new tunes made for the new turbo since it is a non-Variable Geometry Turbo. My tunes are custom built for all of my supporting mods as well as the turbos size.

@4x15mph It was the factory turbo that was removed. It is not uncommon for them to stick like mine did on the 6.7 Cummins. The factory emissions systems on the first run of 6.7s was to blame. I bought my truck used with just over 100,000 miles on it last August and promptly removed all traces of emissions equipment but it was too late for the turbo to have much life left. Mine made it till 131,000 miles. It really all depends on if you are deleted, when you deleted, and what warranty work was done in the first 100k miles.

As for the WRX I did a few things, but mostly leave it alone. Its got an intake, Cobb Tuning, and a catback exhaust to accent the classic Subaru rumble. The truck is what I drive most and have the most fun with. There is just something fun about having over 1000 lbs of torque and close to 600 HP with current configuration to play with compared to maybe 300 of each in the WRX.

I'm assuming that you've already done your headstuds. You've obviously got the G56 tranny with an upgraded clutch. What are you going to do to replace your exhaust brake since it went away with the old turbo? How may miles are on your truck? What do you think happened to the variability of the turbo? You're deleted right?

I'm assuming that you've already done your headstuds. You've obviously got the G56 tranny with an upgraded clutch. What are you going to do to replace your exhaust brake since it went away with the old turbo? How may miles are on your truck? What do you think happened to the variability of the turbo? You're deleted right?

Yup, I have head studs, My clutch is a dual disk ceramic Southbend, I will not be replacing my exhaust brake anytime soon, but when I am ready to I will add likely a PacBrake setup. I do miss the exhaust brake, but this is the first of 4 Cummins vehicles I have had that ever had one, so not having one isn't the end of the world for me. Besides, the sounds my new setup makes more than makes up for it's lack of EB. Current mileage is a bit over 132,000. Yes I am deleted with full 5 inch Turbo back exhaust, and EGR delete. The factory turbo started sticking in the closed position (which is the exhaust brake position) which would cause very abnormally high boost as well as drive pressures (The thing that can easily blow head gaskets when no studs are present). I think my issue was a combination of soot buildup over a long period of not being deleted causing some corrosion on the slide that moves the veins. I also suspect the electronic solenoid that moves that part was starting to fail because the EB would hesitate to kick on sometimes. So instead of messing with it all over again, I went in the performance direction I wanted to go in from that start.

You guys are scaring me! I have a 6.7 Cummins in the bus, full factory, but the turbo and control was replaced a couple years ago stock I think. This is a whole 'nother hobby to get acquainted with. I'm not sure but I haven't read about anyone doing these upgrades in the RV application.

You guys are scaring me! I have a 6.7 Cummins in the bus, full factory, but the turbo and control was replaced a couple years ago stock I think. This is a whole 'nother hobby to get acquainted with. I'm not sure but I haven't read about anyone doing these upgrades in the RV application.

No need to worry. Those have different tuning than the truck variant. I would leave that stock . Those are constantly under a bigger load which means they burn hotter and don't have near the soot buildup.

I bought my 08 Cummins new and was in the shop 3 times in the first 25K for a "dirty turbo". Got them to put a new turbo on and then deleted. No problem since and now at 230K. I originally had Edge and now have the EFI. I did loose my tranny at 200K and now have the Revmax 550.

Have you had a chance to compare towing EGTs?

@DCB-270 Towing EGT's so far (Only towed my boat to this point) have been about 100-200 degrees cooler. There are better turbo's for towing if pulling heavy loads regularly.

I am having the same problem with my '10 ram. I just ordered a Fleece Cheetah, I tow everyday and the exhaust brake is invaluable, the lightest thing I tow is the boat. I am at 126k on the ticker and have been totally deleted since 5000miles.
ARP 625's and custom tunes on my mini max from Anarchy Diesel. It should be here in a week!

I am having the same problem with my '10 ram. I just ordered a Fleece Cheetah, I tow everyday and the exhaust brake is invaluable, the lightest thing I tow is the boat. I am at 126k on the ticker and have been totally deleted since 5000miles.
ARP 625's and custom tunes on my mini max from Anarchy Diesel. It should be here in a week!

Let us know how that Fleece Cheetah works for you. I debated going that route but just couldn't get a good solid answer on how its performance was over stock (I was looking for a considerable boost in performance) and couldn't justify spending over 2K on a turbo with almost no warranty. You should look into getting EFI Live to take better advantage of your new turbo than your mini max can. Anarchy makes good EFI tunes as well as a few other companies.

I do miss my exhaust brake, but love my 2nd gen turbo setup. The sound is insane compared to stock VGT. Someday I will likely add an inline exhaust brake to my setup, but might go back to VGT and add a large turbo over it.

Back