• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newb with newb questions

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey all, finally taking delivery in less than 1 month of my 242 LSE! I have some random questions that I figured I would just throw them in one post instead of multiple spammy posts. I'm new to boat owning. I've only played with rental pontoons in the past.So here it goes:

1. This is a demo boat with 6.5 hours in it. I feel odd about it hanging out for almost a year at 6.5 and not had its 10 hour service yet. Should I do the 10 hour service ASAP, wait for the actual 10 hours? Start again for another 10 hours?

2. I should still pretend it is new and do the break in process right? Or not?

3. How do you tie up to the dock? It has 3 cleats on each side right? Do you share the cleat with the fender and the dock rope? How many fenders on each side? How many ropes tied to the dock?

4. How do you usually embark and disembark at dock? Transom vs bow?

5. Should I ever take the bimini canvas off? Or leave it on till it dies? Boat will be mainly stored in dry stack building.

6. Do you gas up at the end of the day or simply refill before you head out at the start of the day? (lake cruising with multiple gas options)

Thanks guys and gals!

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1. I would change the oil now, fairly old dino oil in there. If you are going to do the maintenance yourself, please check the owners manual fo rthe list of items to take care of. Be very careful not to overfill the intermediate bearing.
2. My opinion, it's already broken in, just ride normal.
3) I do have 1 fender sharing my front cleat but on my 2 other fenders, I've been using suction cup quick release and they work great.
4) I use the transom to mount, much easier for the family than trying to jump over things upfront.
5) Leave til it dies for me as it is garage kept and folded in it's own cover. If it's wet, I'd open until dry though.
6) Depends how much fuel I used, what's left in my tow vehicle tank and how close to dinner or burnt out we are from day out. Varies. I use Stabil 360 Marine to fight ethanol in every fill up though.

Hope these help and congrats on the beauty!
Marc

rrmidden

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
1. I'd probably just wait, but at 6.5 Hours, it's probably 6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
2. Break in period is past, just enjoy it!
3. Depends on the dock, it's location, and how long I plan on being there. Minimum of 2 ropes (one stern, one bow) and two fenders, but sometimes five fenders.
4. Almost always at the transom. Even got to where, I'll spin the boat right before the dock, to drop people off via the transom, versus the bow.
5. I've never taken mine off, even though I should probably clean it one of these days.
6. I get gas when I need it and when it's convenient. Either in the driveway with (2) 10-Gallon Flo-Fast Containers or at the station, if it's easy in/easy out. Or when I forget and we need it on the lake there are a couple of places, but I usually get just enough to last us the trip, as I'd rather not pay the on-the-lake prices. But it's nice to know it's there when I need it.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't fill up at the end of everyday, but I do after every weekend. Full tanks help prevent water in your gas due to condensation. I do use Stabil 360 at every full up.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Chances are, if it was a demo, it's already broken in.
I'd get the oil changed now and start fresh.
I fill up before I hit the water and I use stabil on every other fill up. Because I alternate between regular and premium gas.
I bow into the docks and push off (bow or stern depends on traffic and where I am on the dock)
I'd let the canvas breathe once in a while.
Enjoy that boat, she's a beaut.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Chances are, if it was a demo, it's already broken in.
I'd get the oil changed now and start fresh.
I fill up before I hit the water and I use stabil on every other fill up. Because I alternate between regular and premium gas.
I bow into the docks and push off (bow or stern depends on traffic and where I am on the dock)
I'd let the canvas breathe once in a while.
Enjoy that boat, she's a beaut.
Nice profile pic. What do you do?

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
1. I would change the oil now, fairly old dino oil in there. If you are going to do the maintenance yourself, please check the owners manual fo rthe list of items to take care of. Be very careful not to overfill the intermediate bearing.
2. My opinion, it's already broken in, just ride normal.
3) I do have 1 fender sharing my front cleat but on my 2 other fenders, I've been using suction cup quick release and they work great.
4) I use the transom to mount, much easier for the family than trying to jump over things upfront.
5) Leave til it dies for me as it is garage kept and folded in it's own cover. If it's wet, I'd open until dry though.
6) Depends how much fuel I used, what's left in my tow vehicle tank and how close to dinner or burnt out we are from day out. Varies. I use Stabil 360 Marine to fight ethanol in every fill up though.

Hope these help and congrats on the beauty!
Marc
Don't even know what the intermediate bearing is! Didn't see that on the manual. Maybe the service manual? Gots lots to learn

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Nice profile pic. What do you do?
I'm a surgical trauma charge nurse at Childrens Hospital. That was my "4th of July" pic as saying "If you see me tonight, we've got a problem". I tell my kids and nieces and nephews that they don't want to see me at work. My wife is the trauma and burn advanced practice nurse and manager (masters degree) and childrens as well. Another reason we went propless.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm a surgical trauma charge nurse at Childrens Hospital. That was my "4th of July" pic as saying "If you see me tonight, we've got a problem". I tell my kids and nieces and nephews that they don't want to see me at work. My wife is the trauma and burn advanced practice nurse and manager (masters degree) and childrens as well. Another reason we went propless.
Props to you man, and to your wife. Keep up the good work.

Maccam26

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Don't even know what the intermediate bearing is! Didn't see that on the manual. Maybe the service manual? Gots lots to learn
Owners Manual has instructions on where to grease and how much. it's a housing that contains a sealed bearing where the shaft for the impellor crosses the transom on each motor. The grease is to fight water intrusion mostly, not to actually lubricate the bearing.