• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie NY/NJ Boater

bad_behavior

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Read a great thread on handling rough water. I posted this question but maybe it warrants a thread of its own.
I have a new to me 97 Sugar Sand Mirage 15' with 175hp Merc. I am also a little new to boating. So far I have taken her out on a lake and even with a little chop was ok. Places that I am considering taking her out in the future are Barnegat Bay , Sandy Hook sound and Long Island Sound. I know that half the answer is weather permitting but should any of these places be off limits? Right now I do not feel comfortable taking her out in lower Hudson, but would consider areas above the Bear Mountain bridge. I welcome any advise from those familiar with any of these areas and this size boat.
Also looking for info on what other's use such a size boat for. My main idea is for some fun with towables as well as some bay side fishing.

Thanks
Bad Behavior

@bad_behavior welcome to the forum. I boat in the Barnegat Bay and Manahawkin Bays mostly. I trailer my boat from about 35 miles inland and before I leave, I always check the weather reports as well as the wind readings from the shore area. If the wind is above 15mph, you can expect some chop in the Barnegat Bay. Anything over that besides an occasional gust, and I won't go out. It's just too bumpy of a ride, and that's in a 23' boat. I haven't any farther north than Seaside/Toms River area.

The Barnegat Bay has a great place to anchor and hang out called Tices Shoal. It's on the southern part of Island Beach State Park. There's usually hundreds of boats there on any given Saturday or Sunday with nice weather. I do see smaller boats that make their way to Tices as well, but I'm certain that they're coming from just across the bay.

Good luck with the new to you boat

@Tony,

Thanks for the information. Although I hung out on the Jersey shore in my youth most of the times it was Belmar, Seaside and Wildwood. This year I visited Lavallette for a few days and really liked it there. I'm thinking that if I rent for a week or two there next year, I'll put the boat in a slip while I'm there. Hoping I can get down to Barnegat bay for a day before the season is over.
Where do you put in?

Orlando
Bad Behavior

@bad_behavior I have a season permit for the Ship Bottom boat ramp on LBI. From there I head north on the ICW to the Barnegat Bay and Tices, etc. It takes about 35-40 minutes to get there. I really need to look into using a ramp on the Barnegat Bay itself. Although I grew up going to Sea Side Heights, I've been an LBI person for the last 25+ years because its a bit closer to where I live now.

@Topper232
Tony,
Thanks again for the 411 on Tices Shoal. I did some googling and found some cool videos. Definately will try to get in a visit. Looks like they have an inexpensive ramp at a marina in Windy Bay that could make for a short trip.

Orlando
Bad Behavior

Read a great thread on handling rough water. I posted this question but maybe it warrants a thread of its own.
I have a new to me 97 Sugar Sand Mirage 15' with 175hp Merc. I am also a little new to boating. So far I have taken her out on a lake and even with a little chop was ok. Places that I am considering taking her out in the future are Barnegat Bay , Sandy Hook sound and Long Island Sound. I know that half the answer is weather permitting but should any of these places be off limits? Right now I do not feel comfortable taking her out in lower Hudson, but would consider areas above the Bear Mountain bridge. I welcome any advise from those familiar with any of these areas and this size boat.
Also looking for info on what other's use such a size boat for. My main idea is for some fun with towables as well as some bay side fishing.

Thanks
Bad Behavior
Hello bad behavior. I lived near barnaget bay for twenty five years.it will shake you to death it is always choppy.not good for you boat it is too small.

I've had my boat in long island sound a few times and it's fine as long as it's fairly calm. We got hit by a rogue wave near fishers island that had we not seen it and turned in to it I think it would have rolled the boat. The first part of the wave came over the bow then we were in the trough and then the 2nd part went over the boat and filled us with water. It was easily an 8 - 10 foot wave out of nowhere. Problem with the sound is a lot of commercial ferry traffic and they do not move for you.

I am thinking that you are a much braver man than I am if you are going out into rough water in a 15 footer. Maybe on really calm days but @subysti's experience shows that there can be surprises on calm days.

Please wear appropriate flotation, type 1 is best, and have floating waterproof communications equipment if you go out something with automated DSC would be best. This is good advice for all of us regardless of the size of our boats and the water conditions.

Sandy hook bay is usually ok. Make sure you have a marine handheld radio that floats, keep life vests on and u should do ok. Check the weather reports and the wave forecasts, I don't usually take it there if they are predicting over 2 ft waves. Not that 2-3ft would be that overwhelming, but it's simply not a pleasant ride. I usually launch from Leonardo State Marina. The Hudson is fine north of the G. Washington bridge unless it is very windy you should be able to handle it. South of the bridge it will depend. Commercial ferries throw huge wakes that can be a problem when combined with already rough water. I would not really risk it on a 15 ft boat, specially on a weekday. Sunday there is much less commercial traffic, and if the wind is perfectly still it might be ok.
Lake Hopatcong and the Delaware river are the other places I usually go to. Will try to get up to Lake George but not sure it will be this year.

Back