• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newby 242 E-Series

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all!
Been lurking here a while and finally bit the bullet on a new E-Series. I actually bought a leftover 2019 last winter and with any luck will make our maiden voyage soon! A few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1/ I did purchase the travel cover, but I've always had covers that snap in, the Yamaha covers since down with a ratchet system (as I'm sure you're all aware). Question is, do you get any chafing or scratches in the gelcoat from pulling these down the highway? I thought about traveling without the cover, but am wondering if I might lose the two small cushions in the front of the stern. I realize those remove, but I don't want the rest of the bow seats to spring up. Any experience here and what do you guys recommend?

2/ I hadn't read anything about the BCU error codes that seem to be an issue until today--is this an isolated issue on a few boats or is this a common issue with the E-Series?

Thanks again and this newby appreciates your help!

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Congrats. Did you get the gray one? I wanted that color combo so badly but wasn’t in the cards for me. Went with the black/red 2020 instead.

the only time I get a BCU error is when I turn on the battery switch with the key in the “on” position.

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Love the looks of your 2020, beautiful boats! My last boat was black and I spent a fair amount of time and money keeping that black looking new. This time I went with the color combo that's mostly white, but has the blue bottom--don't really care for the blue bottom, but oh well. Thanks for the advice about how you're navigating the BCU issue. I would've figured they'd have a software update available by now...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hello all!
Been lurking here a while and finally bit the bullet on a new E-Series. I actually bought a leftover 2019 last winter and with any luck will make our maiden voyage soon! A few questions I'm hoping you guys can answer:

1/ I did purchase the travel cover, but I've always had covers that snap in, the Yamaha covers since down with a ratchet system (as I'm sure you're all aware). Question is, do you get any chafing or scratches in the gelcoat from pulling these down the highway? I thought about traveling without the cover, but am wondering if I might lose the two small cushions in the front of the stern. I realize those remove, but I don't want the rest of the bow seats to spring up. Any experience here and what do you guys recommend?

2/ I hadn't read anything about the BCU error codes that seem to be an issue until today--is this an isolated issue on a few boats or is this a common issue with the E-Series?

Thanks again and this newby appreciates your help!
How far are you towing? I towed 5 hours (one way) a several times last year with the black mooring cover. I did get some scuffs on the decal toward the back on the first trip. Now, I tighten the cover down a little tighter and haven’t noticed a problem since.

I used the boat all season and never got any weird codes. Hoping that continues for this year. :)

Plpbecks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your boat as much as we enjoy ours.

We picked up our 19 242e at the end of last season, had it out a number of times and have not had the issue. I think this forum has narrowed it down to shutting off or starting the engine while the wheel is turned full lock one direction (reverse bucket is touch something, sticks and throws an error) so avoid that and you’ll be good.

We also tow extensively, get the ratchet nice and tight and you should not have any abrasion.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
2016 242 SE. AGREE... If your cover is good and tight, no issues.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Same on mine. I kept mine outdoors with the cover on, so we always towed to the boat ramp with the cover. As long as it's tight, no issues.

We have also towed it at 70 on the interstate with no cover and never lost either of those cushions. I took out the center cushion on the engine hatch and threw it in a box in the garage, so I'm not sure if that one is safe or not.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Regarding the BCU error.... Make sure your batteries are always topped off. These E series boats are VERY sensitive to low batteries. @Drexx3 may be on to something here. I also noticed that when I did get the BCU error, turning the batteries back on with the key on didn't reset it. Turning off the key, then turning the batteries on followed by turning the key back on I think cleared the warning. Haven't had the code in the last 5/6 hours of use so haven't tested my theories since then.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Different year here, but I was advised at purchase when towing I should: 1) remove the center aft cushion and put it away somewhere (it went into the aft storage and basically never came back out), 2) make sure the observer chair is up into the 'co-pilot' position (to lock in the cushion behind it--not an issue if you have the hinged cushions or 2 captains chairs) and 3) close the windshield. Of course, I secure all the rest of the lose things...

I have towed with and without the cover. Agree on the tight cover comments--no issues for me either. And following the advice above have not lost cushions or cup holders or other stuff.

KHoward

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi,

I also have a 2019 242 SE. Just curious, when towing with the cover on, do you have the support poles in place or not.

Thanks,

Ken

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I’ve traveled with the mooring cover once and got abrasions on my black hull. I have a travel cover in storage but didn’t think about using it. Now, I’ll use it. The felt edges should help. Good question about the poles. When I bought mine, it came with the travel cover and poles. So, I would think yes to that question.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No poles with the cover on the shipping cover is different and disposable

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We may not be talking about the same travel cover. The one I’m talking about is white, felt edged and ratchet straps. Just did a quick search in the forum and they’re selling for $80-$250 with poles.