• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

NGK LFR6A to gap or not to gap

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
that is the question ...? The service manual says one thing , the dealer says another ... they always come way off spec ...

Last set I got on Amazon were all just about perfect

Maybe could have been returns but the packaging didn’t look like it had been opened before.

They always come close to specs but I always double check anyways.

most everyone says dont touch them .. that they are pre gapped ... last year i had to open them up as per manual .. year before i did not touch them and they were under gapped ... IMO the year before i had a very slightly better hole shot off throttle .

Since mine has starting issues I tend to gap mine to the lowest end of the stock acceptable spec range. Once starting issues return I buy new plugs and replace them, gap them again. So far it's about 30-50 hours I need to replace plugs.

No reason not to check the Gap on each and every plug. I have had them spot on and other where either over or under gapped. Only takes a few minutes.

That’s interesting about going lower on the gaps. I would have thought the opposite.

I would always check them and I guess set them at the low end.
Just using them they show up doesn’t seem like a consistent plan.

I check mine every time and have not had to regap any of them. I’ve also been told by the guys at the auto stores and a local boat repair shop that I should not have to re gap new plugs, just buy the right plugs. They went on to say the electrode on the iridium plugs is thin and could be damaged easily.

If you are going to re gap (closer) or (wider)then just use the proper tool they are separate tools

If you are going to take the time and effort to replace your plugs, why not take the extra 30 secs per plug to ensure the gap is correct. I agree that usually they are set to specs, but you never know, and installing a plug that is improperly gapped means you could get out on the water, engine runs like s***, you have to return, pull the plugs to figure out which one is bad, fix it, and put it all back together, all because you didnt want to take an extra 5 minutes at the start to check your gap!

Back