• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No fuel to Starboard motor - ‘05 AR 230

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After checking the rear kill switches and determining that isn’t the problem, I took the fuel lines off of both motors to see if there was any difference from the starboard that will not crank and the port which does crank. I also hooked up the YDS software.

I started with the starboard side Which will not crank. Removed the fuel line going into the motor and there was no fuel at all in the line. I used YDS to activate the fuel pump and I heard a click but nothing else. Nothing running and no fuel coming out of the line. I activated the bypass motor and could heard it run. Also activated all of the injectors and could hear them run.

I went to the port side which Is running fine and repeated the process. As soon as I started loosening the clamp fuel started running out. Activated the pump and got a good steam of fuel coming out of the line.

So it looks to me the Starboard motor is not getting fuel. Any ideas?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First some clarification. When you say the engine doesn’t “crank”, are you saying the engine does not even spin when you turn the key? Or are you saying the engine spins, but does not start? Generally speaking, if an engine cranks, that means it is spinning, whether it starts or not is irrelevant. If the engine cranks (spins) but doesn't start, and you’ve got no fuel pressure, I’d gravitate to the fuel pump which is located inside the gas tank, under the small hatch in the rear of the “cabin”. Check for voltage, or a faulty fuel pump.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could swap fuel lines at the sender

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I say crank it means start and go. Fires up. Runs. It turns over but will not crank. I tend to forget you northern folks have a hard time understanding our southern use of wording sometimes. ”go crank up the car and let it warm up” hahahahaha

Or what really sets up apart:

South - “Will you stop by the store and pick me up a Coke? Sure what kind do you want? I want a Dr. Pepper”
North - “Will you go by the store and buy a pop/soda for me” Yes which would you like? A Coca Cola would be nice”

LOL…Anyway, to the point here

From what I see there is just 1 fuel pump inside the tank that sends fuel to both motors correct? Each motor does not have its own fuel pump. The port motor has a great stream of fuel going to it while the starboard has zero fuel going to it. Any ideas why 1 would have fuel going to it while the other does not if they both come from the same pump?

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok, so it cranks, but doesn’t start…😁. My wife says soda, and I say pop. It’s quite annoying! 😝

So, you’ve got two fuel pumps, I’d recommend diagnosing the same way you diagnosed the switches.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had the same issue with our 06, the easiest way to determine if you have the proper voltage to the pump is with voltmeter. I was getting low or now voltage a tracked it back to a corroded ground block.

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@dgfreeze no, it turns over but doesn’t crank hahahaha

I’m glad you found the humor in this. After posting I thought it might be taken as I was being a dick when I was just poking fun at the difference in Northern and Southern use of the English language. :)

so, ended up figuring out it was just a bad connection at the fuel pump. THANK GOD! I needed some good news because my confidence in this purchase was starting to become questionable. Cleaned up the connections on both fuel pumps, added some dielectric grease, and it is cranking up great now. It is starting up great now. It is running great now. It is firing up and going great now :)

Although we didn’t get out today, we are going to take it out tomorrow and hope we will not be coming home on a rope again.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Lol, it is kinda funny how much small variations there are in the English language here in the states. Start talking to someone from across the pond, and things get super weird.

Glad you found your issue, and very glad it was a simple fix. These boats are not spring chickens anymore, but should have a lot of life left in them if maintained well.