• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Noob wiring question

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So normally the engines are grounded...is that ground lead also switched? I am also challenged in understanding why it may be a problem as long as ALL connection to the battery ground is disconnected... Still seems iffy, but would like to actually grasp why.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
So normally the engines are grounded...is that ground lead also switched? I am also challenged in understanding why it may be a problem as long as ALL connection to the battery ground is disconnected... Still seems iffy, but would like to actually grasp why.
No typically in a DC system (boat, car, etc) the ground is not switched, all loads and switches are the positive side. Although there are some autos out there I know at least in the past that were "postive grounded" systems but that is not relevant. Its a normal convention for DC to be this way to avoid confusion for working and maintaining the systems. Sounds like there may be a deeper reason for the convention being this way (per @jb32566 comment)? Outside my knowledge base so others can add to that.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Certainly 120V will conduct in water, but low voltages like 12v dont. Unless you have enough conductive materials in it (like saliva does).
If I remember my Physics correctly from way back when, it also makes a difference on the content of the water (i.e. high in minera content conducts better than distilled water)

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I meant, in this boat's case that has this odd wiring...Is the engine connected to the negative pole while the switch is in the off position?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Stick the bottom of your tongue across the terminals of a 9v battery. I dare ya.
Only if you stick your tongue in a in a light socket - I dare you! :p I stand on my statement, “totally different animal”

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Voltage and Amperage are 2 different animals. DC vs AC also plays a part. Some time ago I bridge the battery terminals with pliers and through my graduation ring... After the sparks hit, my ring got so hot I removed it in a reflex and threw it about 50 yards away. Until I lost it you could see a melt dent where it had bridged with the pliers!....Electricity is no joke even at low voltage. But its the watts that kill you (Volt x Amps)

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After my test run today, i ended up rewiring with the single path switch. Hooked the motors direct to the battery... they have ignition switches that yurn them off anyways. Will add the dual path switxh later anyways.

Sadly, all my wiring was for nought. My new radio was DOA. Pops the breaker when it turns on.