• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

O2 Sensor Replacement

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
First time post here. Looks like a great forum with a wealth of information and experience. I've learned quite a bit already. I've had a little jet boat experience over the years (1994 Seadoo Speedster and 1999 Yamaha LS2000) and always tried to do as much work on my boats as I can. Those boats were a lot simpler to work on though. I ventured into a direct drive ski boat for a while, but now that I'm back on the coast I wanted to get back into a jet boat that can run the shallows and handle the salt better. I'm hoping the Scarab works out, but I do see that they have a lot of issues and hope I don't regret not going back with Yamaha. Love the boat though.

Got a P013A fault code for the second O2 sensor switching slow on the starboard engine. I'm trying to find a part number or equivalent part number to replace it. I could surely go OEM from the dealership, but if there's a better choice, I'd prefer going that way. Appreciate the help.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard @PogoFX!

Is the O2 sensor not covered under warranty on your 2 year old boat?

@ScarabMike, do you have experience with this?

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Should be covered on warranty.
Have your exhaust system inspected for leaks, as O2 sensor faults are often caused by another problem.
I heard some were leaking at the catalyst exhaust housing flanges, thus resulting in a damaged post catalyst O2 sensor.

JPS#460374
BRP#707600872
BOSCH#0258006956

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks. I realize now that it should be a warranty item. My boat's a 2014 but it was purchased in May 2015 from a dealer and titled as new then. That should be the start of my warranty. For some reason I thought the motor was on a one year warranty, but it looks like its 3 yr/480hr right?

I called the MM dealer by me in Pensacola a week ago. They said they had too many open tickets right now . . . call back sometime after labor day. What a deal, at least put me in the queue.

Speed_Freak_039A

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just goto advance auto and get one for like $60-$80. No dealer hassle or delays. Pretty sure part number is etched on the sensor

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Running with fault P013A will not damage the engine, the 2nd O2 sensor is mainly there as a diagnostic tool.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thanks JetTech, that's what I figured. I've run it a bit and it certainly runs fine. In simple terms, the second O2 sensor is just checking the performance/effectiveness of the of the first O2 sensor from what I gather, so I don't think there is any threat of running the boat. I've ordered a Candoo Pro to have in my tool bag also. However, I think I'll have the dealer take care of it when their schedule opens up, just in case there are any other issues. I'll probably run the boat a couple of times between now and then unless the folks around here really advise against it.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I've had that same code for about a month now and have been out on the water almost every weekend since then. Doesn't seem to mind and my service tech said it is OK to run as long as you don't mind the check engine light flashing in your face. He finally got some O2 sensors in last week and I plan to take it to him next week to get it replaced. And, yes, 3yr/480 hours on the engine warranty.

I see you're in Navarre. We put in at the Navarre Beach Causeway boat ramp a few weeks ago and then toodled down the intracoastal to see the Blue Angels while they were in town. That was a good day!!

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I've had that same code for about a month now and have been out on the water almost every weekend since then. Doesn't seem to mind and my service tech said it is OK to run as long as you don't mind the check engine light flashing in your face. He finally got some O2 sensors in last week and I plan to take it to him next week to get it replaced. And, yes, 3yr/480 hours on the engine warranty.

I see you're in Navarre. We put in at the Navarre Beach Causeway boat ramp a few weeks ago and then toodled down the intracoastal to see the Blue Angels while they were in town. That was a good day!!
Thanks blackhawk. Yes, I'm sure I'll see you at the ramp sometime. Spent many nights orbiting around the Enterprise and Dothan area when I used to fly AC-130U gunships out of Hurlburt Field. We always did a lot of our dry fire training around there. You can run, but you'll only die tired.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You can run, but you'll only die tired.
We used to watch you guys coming in and out while we were flying nights. Good times. "You can run, but you'll only die tired". My son is a Grey Eagle operator in the Army and he gave me a t-shirt over the weekend that says the same thing. He just got back from Iraq/Kuwait and did a little damage while over there.

PogoFX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
He just got back from Iraq/Kuwait and did a little damage while over there.
Yep, I did a little damage over there as well. You must be proud to have your son serving . . . good for him. My oldest daughter just joined JROTC and plans on going into the Air Force and my youngest daughter plans the same. A lot can change between now and then, but I hope they stick with it.

Back on topic: I got my Candoo Pro in and hooked it up to the Scarab. A lot of great information - worked like a champ. Definitely worth the investment since I plan on keeping the boat for a while. I reset the fault codes and went out and drove the boat for a while. No check engine light or fault codes this time. It may be just a matter of time before it comes back, but so far so good. Hopefully I just saved myself a trip to the dealer.

blackhawkpilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I watched you guys while over there as well. Looked like a stream of fire coming from the sky. Yes, I'm VERY proud. Last weekend I was at Lackland watching my younger son graduate from AF BMT.

But, yes...back on topic...I plan to drop off the boat at Sunrise Marine in Destin on Friday morning so they can do the necessary repairs and complete a couple of things that I'm still owed since the purchase. We weren't planning on using it anyway as we're heading out of town for the long weekend.

Richard Roy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So back to the sensors. 2015 VRX 243 with the twin 250's. Last time out it threw a P1130 code, which as best I can figure is a "Lambda Sensor fault upstream
of catalyst - open line" according to BRP code reference.

I think of myself as fairly handy, but what's a "Lambda sensor?" Boat ran fine even after code came up. Can I ignore until season is over, as dealer is a hike? Or need to address now. Can I do it myself? I have certainly replaced oxygen sensors on various cars over the years. It would be under warranty but like I mentioned a hike to get to dealer.

Thanks for any help.

p.s. figured out lambda sensor. Just another name for oxygen sensor.

Last edited:

JetTech72

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Yep Lambda sensor is the Oxygen Sensor.
Unfortunately your fault (P1130) is on the UpStream sensor (before the catalyst), that sensor is used for fueling purpose.
When the sensor fail, the system revert to back up map. I strongly recommend you change it.
Google : BOSCH#0258006956

Richard Roy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks. Appreciate the help.