• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Octane Mixing

Matts18

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What are folks opinions on mixing unleaded race gas with 89 octane ethanol free to get closer to the 91 octane recommended for the SVHO? There is a sunoco close to my office that has 100 octane unleaded I could carry in a 5 gallon jug and add when I fill up the boat to get roughly 91.

My marina will soon only have 89 available and I don't want to start towing to a gas station every week to top off. Is there anything wrong with my idea of mixing the race gas with the 89? I am sure I will not get the mix exact, but I cant imagine it has to be perfect.

Thoughts?

Many pumps only have 2 grades and accomplish the middle grade by mixing. I grew up with a choice of 83 85 87 91 and 95 at the pump, and the pump had 2 hoses from the dispenser to the nozzle. Can;t find a picture, but I think the point is...this is exactly what they do at the pump, so at least in principle you should be OK.

What are folks opinions on mixing unleaded race gas with 89 octane ethanol free to get closer to the 91 octane recommended for the SVHO? There is a sunoco close to my office that has 100 octane unleaded I could carry in a 5 gallon jug and add when I fill up the boat to get roughly 91.

My marina will soon only have 89 available and I don't want to start towing to a gas station every week to top off. Is there anything wrong with my idea of mixing the race gas with the 89? I am sure I will not get the mix exact, but I cant imagine it has to be perfect.

Thoughts?
Or use Boostane, or Torco in a pinch. Boostane is supposedly staying in solution/suspension longer - would be better if need to store the boat for awhile.

Half of this should do for your tank of 89:

--

Thoughts?
I believe the 18 AR195 has a 30 gal tank... so the mixture should be:

89: 24.5 gal
100: 5.5 gal

So, going 25 of the 89 and 5 of the 100 should be close enough. Or use boostane like @swatski suggested. I always carried some in my speed3 just in case I needed it.

Based on this calc: Octane Calculator - www.bazellracefuels.com

EDIT: realized this is a 195 and not 190 so I changed that... whoops

Thanks! I am feeling a bit of sticker shock from the price of the high octane racing fuel. @r3volol , have you seen any marinas on Loudon that have 91 or higher octane (or at least REC 90)?

Thanks! I am feeling a bit of sticker shock from the price of the high octane racing fuel. @r3volol , have you seen any marinas on Loudon that have 91 or higher octane (or at least REC 90)?
Sorry man, wish I could help but I only boat on Norris.

Oh I see....you are one of those!

Just kidding, Norris is a wonderful lake.

Back