• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil around Spark Plugs

2Point-Oh!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Found a little oil resting on top of 3 spark plugs. The oil was around the nut of spark plug and washer
im thinking its a gasket issue. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Me again, if it was a gasket issue I would assume all spark plugs would have some oil around them, but don’t take that to the bank.. Has your Oil level been okay since you’ve owned it? Did you change your spark plugs last? I would think maybe some oil could leak past the ignition coil but feel that’s almost impossible.. If you didn’t change your spark plugs last maybe the previous person put some oil on them because the MR1s are known to have issues with plugs being stuck.. Just some food for thought for now.. I assume you don’t have pictures of the plugs when you pulled them??

Madcityami

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Fogging oil? I fogged my cylinders last fall and it was hard to shoot the fogging oil down that far (even with the straw) without hitting everything else around the plugs.

2Point-Oh!

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Me again, if it was a gasket issue I would assume all spark plugs would have some oil around them, but don’t take that to the bank.. Has your Oil level been okay since you’ve owned it? Did you change your spark plugs last? I would think maybe some oil could leak past the ignition coil but feel that’s almost impossible.. If you didn’t change your spark plugs last maybe the previous person put some oil on them because the MR1s are known to have issues with plugs being stuck.. Just some food for thought for now.. I assume you don’t have pictures of the plugs when you pulled them??
I put the plugs in about 3 months ago roughly 50 hours.
the plugs look good. Yes i did put dialectic grease on plugs and may have been excessive
The heads were changed last year because of water intrusion. Salt by the way! The water in the engine rusted a spark plug and it broke on me taking it out. That led to removing head and saltwater damage was found. Checked the other engine and same problem. So this year I have been diligent on checking the plugs and oil for any leaks etc…
Currently I am not losing or burning any oil so maybe I just greased the plugs too much. Everything is clean now and just have to run the boat to see what happens.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put the plugs in about 3 months ago roughly 50 hours.
the plugs look good. Yes i did put dialectic grease on plugs and may have been excessive
The heads were changed last year because of water intrusion. Salt by the way! The water in the engine rusted a spark plug and it broke on me taking it out. That led to removing head and saltwater damage was found. Checked the other engine and same problem. So this year I have been diligent on checking the plugs and oil for any leaks etc…
Currently I am not losing or burning any oil so maybe I just greased the plugs too much. Everything is clean now and just have to run the boat to see what happens.
Ya I’d say if you’re not leaking or burning any oil maybe there’s just some leftover residue/grease that’s making you overthink. Which since you’ve done a lot of work to the boat I don’t blame you for being so cautious!

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
All good points above but its not uncommon at all for the gasket to not seal around the plug hole and leak giving you oil in there. Sometimes the gasket doesnt sit right when the valve cover is put back on.