• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil change and plugs

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Looking ahead to the seasonal oil change and some new spark plugs.
Does it make a difference whether the oil is fresh at the end of the season or at the begining?
Winter temps here in NE Georgia are seldom very low so winterizing is easy.
I do plan to fog the engine this year.

Opinions fellow jetboat pilots?

I change oil and plugs in the spring after I've burnt off the fogging oil.

I have been told to change the oil in the fall so when boat sits it has fresh oil. You don't want the old oil with any acids or contaminants sitting in the motor all winter.

That is why I change mine in the fall.

That's been a debate since the dawn of time. Leaving the old oil with contaminants to sit over the winter or letting the fresh oil oxidize over the winter. I use door #2. Cam.

I don't believe oil does much if anything to an engine thats not running. I leave the old oil in during winter storage and put fresh oil in spring when the engines will be running and benefit from fresh oil, not stale oil.

If there is any truth to "acid" in old oil doing damage then why not just drain the old oil in fall and add new oil in spring? An engine in storage does not need oil.

I certainly am not an expert on this. All your points are valid.

I would not change the spark plugs until after the first outing or at least the first start in the spring. The engines are likely to deposit some oil on the plugs after sitting all winter.

I wouldn't let an engine sit void of oil. Just doesn't seem right, but I'm not a gearhead and can't give a factual explanation. I'm a door #1 guy. I like to get my fogging/flushing/oil change done all at once. I change the plugs in the spring after one run on the lake to clear the fogging oil. I've heard both sides of the argument and I don't think it makes that much difference either way.

Back