• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil laying on top of engines

Eric242limiteds

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
2011 Yamaha 242 limited S 1.8L engine(s)

At the end of last season i noticed the top of my engines having a very thin layer of oil sitting on the top of them. Anyone else experience this and know where it might be coming from?

Have you checked your oil level?

On top of the air filter or on top of the block?

If on top of the block, did you maybe spill some filling up the oil. If you filled with the tops on and dribbled a little to the side of the fill hole, it may sit on the top of the block there (beneath the cover) forever. That part of the engine does not get as hot as the manifold and the oil there may not burn. And its flat, so it isn't going to run off...

It would be weird for oil to sit on top of the the engine without a man-made cause.

On top of the manifold. Found it before doing an oil change so it wasn’t me. This was the first oil change I’ve done on the motors (first season with it) maybe it was spilled by the previous owner and it wasn’t as noticeable the day of the sale when i checked the compression. Oil level was still full which leads me to believe the same as you guys are saying that it was a man made issue not motor... i was just double checking there isn’t a breather tube or pressure point somewhere that would create this problem

On top of the manifold. Found it before doing an oil change so it wasn’t me. This was the first oil change I’ve done on the motors (first season with it) maybe it was spilled by the previous owner and it wasn’t as noticeable the day of the sale when i checked the compression. Oil level was still full which leads me to believe the same as you guys are saying that it was a man made issue not motor... i was just double checking there isn’t a breather tube or pressure point somewhere that would create this problem

To add to the strangeness - how much was there and did it look like it heated up from the previous season/owner? Or did it just look like a bit of pooled oil? If the latter, I wonder if they did a last minute oil change before selling and spilled a bit?

To add to the strangeness - how much was there and did it look like it heated up from the previous season/owner? Or did it just look like a bit of pooled oil? If the latter, I wonder if they did a last minute oil change before selling and spilled a bit?

not even enough to make a puddle just enough to make the whole manifold to look wet. No it’s not burnt looking

I had the same experience on my 2019 AR195. A very thin layer of oil on top of the manifold. Based on the color its most likely engine oil. Just like you, it was enough to make it look wet but certainly not a puddle. Oil level checks are fine. Two seasons in now and there's no ill effects for me, so I just ignore it.

I feel its like that "protective layer of dirt" I keep on the outside of my cars in the winter.

Could be a spill while filling not fully cleaned up. I would clean it, not worry, and watch it.

Could it be a protective coating that was sprayed on?

I vote spray coating.........I use Yama lube(light coat) all over the engine wiring ect I am surprised how long the wet look lasts but no corrosion anywhere in my engine bay and I'm in FL salt water, silicon spray great stuff.

I vote spray coating.........I use Yama lube(light coat) all over the engine wiring ect I am surprised how long the wet look lasts but no corrosion anywhere in my engine bay and I'm in FL salt water, silicon spray great stuff.

That's a good call. Dirty yamahlube turns color for sure.

not even enough to make a puddle just enough to make the whole manifold to look wet. No it’s not burnt looking
My wife has had a couple different Volvo’s that do that if I don’t put a new gasket on the oil fill cap every few oil changes.

Eta

Random YouTube video of a guy talking about it happening on his bmw

My wife has had a couple different Volvo’s that do that if I don’t put a new gasket on the oil fill cap every few oil changes.

Eta

Random YouTube video of a guy talking about it happening on his bmw

great look , I’ll have to check when the winter blanket comes off her to make sure it’s not that

2011 Yamaha 242 limited S 1.8L engine(s)
At the end of last season i noticed the top of my engines having a very thin layer of oil sitting on the top of them. Anyone else experience this and know where it might be coming from?
@Eric242limiteds ..... I am relatively new to jet boating (2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser Wave Runner + 2020 Yamaha SZ195 jet boat) but neither of them have ever had oil residue on any part of the engine and the oil on both has been changed many times. As for "regular" I/O boats oil on the engines was a sign of multiple possible problems - therefore - I don't like oil on top of the engines or any part of them - particularly if it's repeated after a one time cleaning. :cool:

Back