• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil level and RPM

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
How much does oil level on an AR192 have an effect on overall wot RPM. I have been working on mine and seeing about 7200-7300 rpm. Looking for that last bit of RPM. I also am going to buy a SVHO intercooler and am hoping to gain some on that too. I made 42 on the water with 2 adults so far.

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I don't own an AR192, but wouldn't think oil level would have any effect on RPM whatsoever. I could be wrong, but I have seen some suggest the condition of your spark plugs have a greater effect on engine RPM.

marcham

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Hi, where are you located? Elevation has an impact on power / rpm.

What's the condition of the impeller. Is the intake tunnel well sealed? Clean air filter?

Have you verified the throttle cable adjustment?

Max rpm is probably 7500, you're not that far off.

Last edited:

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Hi, where are you located? Elevation has an impact on power / rpm.

What's the condition of the impeller. Is the intake tunnel well sealed? Clean air filter?

Have you verified the throttle cable adjustment?

Max rpm is probably 7500, you're not that far off.
I am in Kansas City so about 900ft from sea level.

The impeller looks brand new, I only have 35 hours on the boat. I have not checked the intake tunnel yet,
Not quite sure what I am looking for here.

I am currently not running an air filter, waiting on a new one in the mail.

I have adjusted the throttle for the limit stop.

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I am in Kansas City so about 900ft from sea level.

The impeller looks brand new, I only have 35 hours on the boat. I have not checked the intake tunnel yet,
Not quite sure what I am looking for here.

I am currently not running an air filter, waiting on a new one in the mail.

I have adjusted the throttle for the limit stop.

I just keep reading about people running 7600-7800 rpm and want to make sure I am hitting everything that I can to make good speed and RPM.

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I don't own an AR192, but wouldn't think oil level would have any effect on RPM whatsoever. I could be wrong, but I have seen some suggest the condition of your spark plugs have a greater effect on engine RPM.
I have seen a small blurb about it somewhere that it can gain you a few RPM by not having too much oil in the system. Just not sure if this is overfilled or lower on the dipstick.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have seen a small blurb about it somewhere that it can gain you a few RPM by not having too much oil in the system. Just not sure if this is overfilled or lower on the dipstick.
Yes over filled can affect your performance. You don't want it all the way to full line. About 1/2 between low and full is perfect

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have also been told to check when oil is warm. I have always checked it when the oil is air temp.

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah true, I don't think the manual specifies very well

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also am going to buy a SVHO intercooler
That, and cooler weather!
If you wet slip, it could also be the hull surface, it's amazing how much speed even small amount of growth can scrub.

--

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Yes over filled can affect your performance. You don't want it all the way to full line. About 1/2 between low and full is perfect
I find it very hard to read the dipstick. Maybe it's just me...

Matthew_B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
That, and cooler weather!
If you wet slip, it could also be the hull surface, it's amazing how much speed even small amount of growth can scrub.

--
Luckily I can keep mine on the trailer in my driveway. Can't wait for cooler temps to see what it does. And I just purchased a svho intercooler.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I find it very hard to read the dipstick. Maybe it's just me...
Lay it on a paper towel and let it touch the paper towel. Then remove the oil mark will be very visible.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got to spend a few days with the boat. Yeah, I found it difficult to get a good reading on the oil level. The paper towel trick seems like a good idea. Anyway both engines were right up to the very top of the oil fill level. Just at the upper hole in the dip stick. I took about a half quart out of each engine so the level was just slightly above the lower fill hole. I just can't believe what a difference that made! My Port engine that I could only get to 6,850 RPM now goes right to 7,100 and my starboard hit around 7,300 RPM. The other big difference came in the throttle lever positions. I was having to really separate the throttle levers to synchronize the engine RPMs. Now they are almost exactly the same with the throttle levers together. Pretty happy about the effects of just pulling a little oil out. Boat ran great! I didn't really have a great opportunity to test top end speed as the lake was fairly choppy all weekend, but with 5 people, drinks, gear, wind and chop we hit 46 MPH. I won't complain about that. Thanks guys!

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
So, how low is....too low? I'll try taking all the oil out and see how that does. I bet really fast, at least for a little while :)

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Optimal from my testing is 1/4" - 3/8" above low mark.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Got to spend a few days with the boat. Yeah, I found it difficult to get a good reading on the oil level. The paper towel trick seems like a good idea. Anyway both engines were right up to the very top of the oil fill level. Just at the upper hole in the dip stick. I took about a half quart out of each engine so the level was just slightly above the lower fill hole. I just can't believe what a difference that made! My Port engine that I could only get to 6,850 RPM now goes right to 7,100 and my starboard hit around 7,300 RPM. The other big difference came in the throttle lever positions. I was having to really separate the throttle levers to synchronize the engine RPMs. Now they are almost exactly the same with the throttle levers together. Pretty happy about the effects of just pulling a little oil out. Boat ran great! I didn't really have a great opportunity to test top end speed as the lake was fairly choppy all weekend, but with 5 people, drinks, gear, wind and chop we hit 46 MPH. I won't complain about that. Thanks guys!
I was able to hit 56mph on my SX240...The key to more MPH is a Ribbon Delete!1629922274332.png
1629922335351.png

DrCalculator

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
As a data point, it turned out I had too much oil in there as well. Now it is right around half way on the dipstick. I can hit just under 7600 rpm, 49mph. 2020 Ar195