• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil light and rough running after hitting wave

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Hey troubleshooting guys and gals need some help. 2007 230 challenger Se with twin 215sc engines.

Was cruising river tonight went over a pretty good wave from a wake surfer doing about 25 and accelerating thru like normal, didn’t feel like a hard landing, about 30-60 seconds later my starboard oil light/alarm goes off. I immediately turn it off and move over to side of river. First check is oil. Oil is fill and looks like new, it’s only month and half old. Check of coolant and all looks good. Don’t see anything out of place in engine bay. Fire engine back up and it starts fine but super rough. Not like something stuck in impeller shake, just rough. Port engine is super smooth. Shutout and wait then repeat fluid checks. Also checked as best I could to see if mounts have shifted and don’t look like they did. Also nothing leaking in engine bay when running either. Decide to try to get back to marina. Start off slow with both goes without any warnings. So I push a little. RPMs jump up faster on port(not the one having issues) than the starboard. And seems really sluggish as if I’m dragging something. Get up on plane for about a minute and alarm again. Repeated steps and no change can’t see anything. Limped back to marina and docked for night.

got it home. Pulled jets and inspected, nothing around impeller etc. started with jet off and still running rough. See video link below.

replaced plugs with new. Verified spark by grounding and turning over each. Checked resistance of coils to and in spec with book. Even swapped with other good engine and same result.
Checked supercharger and feels like good engine. No spin etc. both coolant and oil are full. Oil is about month and half old XPS.
Thoughts?

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Here’s other video that shows engine running longer.

Featherweight

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Great video quality........ my 07 speedster doing the same exact thing...... this happened last night...... STAR engine will REV out...... the PORT will only go 6500rpm like its hesitating......My usual top speed is 61........i was between 47-51 😒........ Did u ever come up with a solution ?

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I pulled the oil to check and found it looked like bunch of glitter was dumped in. Then pulled the oil filter and found it was crushed. Yanked engine out and pulled Pto to find brass and metal flakes. Pretty sure threw a thrust washer/bearing on the crank. Because if time I opted for a new shortblock. And will tear apart the old for a winter project. Not a job for faint of heart

Attachments

Featherweight

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
🤔 since you got that out...... i was wondering.....would the 300hp RXP motors go in there 1596997489304.png

04PacMan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Not sure, plenty of room for it. I’m content with the 215’s Sc in right now. My wallet hurts bad enough when I run too much in wot, imagine this would suck up even more fuel.

Featherweight

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
im happy as well.... but when i see room for advancement and its a possibility..... im all for it..... oh! i just worked on mine... and come to find out... the coil over was sitting on top of the plug and not pushed down..... hopefully that was it.... and im getting a fault code of "2" on my RPM...... is it a code sheet any where to translate it?