• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

oil shelf life - who knows ?

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
So, just bought 2 gals of oil for my oil change next week. Got me thinking... Each of my engines takes around 3 + quarts of oil. So, after last years spring oil change, I had about 2 quarts of oil unused that I kept in the gallon container for possible top offs during the summer (never needed).

So, now, after next week, I will have the 2 old unused quarts and 2 new unused quarts. This 4 quarts, would give me enough oil to do a oil change on 1 engine next spring (2018).

How long does unused oil stay "good" ? does it deteriorate over time? Was not kept in a climate controlled space at all (deck box all summer and winter).

I have Rotax engines and use a semi synthetic blend oil. But, this question is really in general I guess.

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would say As long as the caps have been on and no water or dirt has gotten in the bottles, the oil is good

Alex AZ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Oil doesn't go bad without contamination, mineral oil will start breaking down after a number of years but definitely not after a couple of years. Think about it this way, the engine oil you buy in store might have been there for a year or so + who knows how long from when it was manufactured until it hit the store. I'd say you go ahead and use it without any concern, I do that all the time on my cars

VONCE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah I wouldn't even think twice about using it. You're fine. I sold car parts for quite a few years, but I'm not claiming to be an expert on oils and the way they do or don't collect moisture (but I do know brake fluid is hygroscopic!). I assume any moisture collected in the bottle of oil would be very minimal, and it would not mix with the oil. Even if it did make it to the crankcase, it would burn (steam) off the first time you brought the engine up to temp. I've used oil way older than that and I've never seen any adverse affects. But this is coming from the guy who goes 10,000 miles between Mobil 1 oil changes because Mobil 1 says I can (15k if you use their extended performance!), so I don't really think twice about oil and filters. As long as it's in the engine and changed at the required intervals, it all should do the same thing - even if it's a few years old.