• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oily residue in 175hp Sport Jet port side exhaust chamber

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
While reassembling the snoot on my jet, I happened to notice that the port side exhaust chamber had an oily residue film, while the starboard side is dry.
How concerned should I be about this?
Last time it ran was in the driveway, on the hose last fall. It ran good for the brief test drive prior to that.
I have picked up a cheapo endoscope, thinking I may be able to get a look at my reed valves to see if they are stainless or composite material with only having to pull the carbs off.
Now I am thinking that it may be prudent to take a look at the bottom 2 cylinders, just to be safe...
This wasn't in the plan for the springtime (now early summer) startup, dadgumit!
So, just looking to source opinion from the experts here.
Outside of the residue, it sounds and runs good.
I'd like to get it out on the water this season without a lot of fuss but I also don't wanna blow it up either.
Opinions?

Edit-I think I'm answering my own questions here on how to proceed but, still would value anyone's input.
Pulling plugs and compression test coming up.....
Might do the endoscope thing too.

Last edited:

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
A video of endoscoping the bottom left cylinder:

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
A clearer head on cam view of the bottom left cylinder:

Its not as bad as I expected. The spark plug was just over finger tight too.... plug was oily.
Anyone want to take bets as to if it will make it through the season?

Last edited:

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Did it make it through the season?

Stomp10

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango
Boat Length
Heh no, cuz I decided to replace the engine and all engine electrics, plus a new flywheel.
Also need to replace this mess behind the shift\throttle control:
IMG_0975(1).jpg
I am having some physical challenges with the body contortions needed to get this done on account of the fact I'm just not as young as I used to be.
I finally found a guy that will do this, and take it the rest of the way home for me.
Hopefully this Thursday to take it in.
New seats are in and after he's all done working on it, this resto is still only partially done.
I still need to give the bottom side a good cleaning and replace the graphics on the sides.
Then it will be all done.
I can't wait!

kaylix

Reaction score
Boat Make
Sugar Sand
Year
Boat Model
Tango Xtreme
Boat Length
Keep us posted, best of luck!