• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Old Fusion out; new Fusion in

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Big rotary knob on the old Fusion HU was dying, so put in a new one really quickly this afternoon...
PXL_20220701_213734164.jpg
Fastest install ever. 30 min and done.
(was in a hurry; didn't put on the little side things yet, but it works)

(and yes, I know my boat number is on there, so don't steal it, huh?)

Need to do the same thing for exactly the same reason. Where did you get the backing plate to convert from the DIN opening of the previous/factory HU? And presumably the new one talks to the stern remote with the same NMEA2000 connector?

Backing plate was, I believe, Crutchfield. But commonly available. It is the Fusion-brand one. About $15.

Yes, I had to replace the drop cable for the NMEA2000 (the new HU has a different connection on the HU side--a more traditional one), but the drop cable came with the new HU, so it was just a matter of unscrewing at the T and screwing in the new one. Very simple on that front.

Update: Old JL amp out; new Fusion amp in.

Oops. Forgot to take pics. Guess it didn't happen. But it sure sounds nice. Being able to set everything with DSP from the app is a pretty sweet deal.

Problem: Took the boat out and figured out the NRX300 remote is not working. Completely blank. No response if I push the power button. No response if I hold the power button. Unplugged and replugged the NMEA2000 several times, but no dice. Not sure what is up with that yet... Open to ideas.

Sidebar: After completing the install, climbed off the bow. Foot slipped off the winch, then off the tongue, and I fell all the way to the concrete below. Fortunately, I had tossed the box and packing for the new amp overboard before I started to disembark. Landed right on it and the packing saved my back. Slightly bruised and scratched, but no major injuries.

Did I mention that the stereo sounds great?

Glad you didn’t hurt yourself. Musta been scary. A couple of questions:

- why did you swap out the JL amp? I thought they were among the best on the market.

- what is the device on the bottom right of the dash? With red buttons.

thx

More frustrating than scary... been getting off that way for 10 years with no issue! Even installed handles up there. Must be more careful.

JL amp was dying. Crackling in the speakers, and then when I would it a bump occasionally one of the channels would suddenly get VERY loud (esp when warm--and it gets warm down here). Next bump: down to normal volume. Also had big noise interference issues (as it turns out). I bought it used back in 2014 for $300--so I have no complaints.

Bottom right is the VHF radio. Uniden Solara D UM380BK VHF Radio. Not as red as it appears in the pic... actually more of an orange color other than the emergency hailing button.

Makes sense. You didn’t want to stick with JL? They are pricey though

Exactly. Would have loved another JL. Quality amps. But quality price, too. This Fusion one is very nice sounding to my ears, and was a bit cheaper (without going to the basement in quality). For a 10 year old boat, that seemed about right to me.

Problem: Took the boat out and figured out the NRX300 remote is not working. Completely blank. No response if I push the power button. No response if I hold the power button. Unplugged and replugged the NMEA2000 several times, but no dice. Not sure what is up with that yet... Open to ideas.
Probable solution: I believe the old HU powered what they call a 'Fusion network' and the new HU does not support the Fusion network, only a true NMEA 2000 network. The primary difference is how the bus is powered. In the Fusion network, with the red cable from the HU to the bus, that red cable supplies power to the bus. In an NMEA 2000 network, the power is supplied by a separate wire. Also, it seems that the NMEA 2000 then also requires an additional terminator.

So, reconfiguring the network, which should resolve the issue. Updates to follow.

Resolution: Yes, providing power to the bus fixed the issue. Remote came right on. Not sure if the additional terminator is needed or not. I hooked up the power cable and when I got the 'Stereo not responding' message on the remote, assumed it was a bus error. So I changed out the 'terminator T' for a regular T and a terminator (just like you see in all of the pics of an NMEA 2000 bus). Still got the error. That is when I figured out you have to tell it to search for a new head unit... And of course it worked. I then never went back and redid the wiring (no harm to just leaving it as it is).

Note that I did reach out to Fusion during this process and they nailed the diagnostic in the first email to me. Sent me the diagram, the whole thing. I wrote to them and asked in follow up if the new HU did not supply power to the bus and what they would recommend for parts. They responded that the new HU does not supply power, and that they would sell me the power cable and the additional T needed at a heavy discount (basically at cost--I paid $10 for retail $50 in parts). Yes, Fusion charges a premium for pretty decent product. But that comes with some customer service that is pretty quality...

Back