• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Opinion/Help Needed - Solar Charger or Jumper Pack

Bribo475

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi All! Need some expert help or opinions on whether to use a solar charger or keep a jump pack handy.

I keep my 210 FSH in a dry slip without access to shore power. I have a Noco dual bank charger, but without access to power it isn't much help! :). I'm trying to figure out the best way to make sure we are able to start when we go to launch. I've been reading different threads on how to attach a solar trickle charger to maintain the lead-acid batteries, but I tend to get confused on what all needs to be done to make it work. IE DVSR mod etc.

I've looked at this solar charger Amazon.com: Battery Tender 17 Watt Mountable Weather Resistant Solar Battery Charger 12V - 021-1173 : Patio, Lawn & Garden but can I just connect that to the start battery, or do I have to isolate the start and house batteries? That's where I get confused.

Any thoughts?

I have always turned the batteries off when I pull the boat out of the water and have never had a dead battery. Actually I have never attached a charger to my batteries, they are at least 5 years old, I do carry a jump pack with me when we go out just in case I need it but I have never needed to use it.
I would say you won’t need a charger on it as long as you disconnect the batteries when not in use.

I probably just jinxed myself?

Why not both? I would just grab one of these and have it ready if you need it. In a dry slip.. what is your bilge strategy?

Jump box would be the easiest thing. Just buy one and keep it in the boat. My original battery lasted 3 years, never charged it, left radio on for hours when out at sandbar. When it finally died my jump box got me home.

Why not both? I would just grab one of these and have it ready if you need it. In a dry slip.. what is your bilge strategy?

Agree with the above. You should keep a jump pack on the boat regardless of whether or not you install the solar panel. I second this Noco Boost. I picked it up for $70 last October. Keep your eyes out between now and Black Friday, I'm sure it'll be back down to the same price again.

I have a solar trickle charger on my boat lift winch. I put the battery charger on to get it fully charged in the spring and the trickle charger keeps it work all summer. We probably put the boat in/out of the water 5-6 times each weekend.

solar trickle charger to maintain the lead-acid batteries, but I tend to get confused on what all needs to be done to make it work. IE DVSR mod etc.
If you use a solar charger, just connect it to the start battery with a quick disconnect while it's in the dry slip. The DVSR will sense the charge current and connect both to keep them topped up. I used one for years on the old boat. With the new boat and switches, I now use an on-board charger when it's parked in my driveway at home, and carry a Noco booster on the boat for the summer just in case. In the winter the booster goes in the vehicle, just in case.

Always keep a jump pack on my boat. Saved us a few weeks ago when we went to go out and the stereo had been left on, and the battery was dead. Nice peace of mind when you’re out all day listening to the radio. When the season is over, I keep it in my truck. Helped a coworker a couple years ago who left her lights on In her car at work.

Thanks All! I'm probably overthinking. I did pick up the Noco Jump Pack, and will keep that handy. I'll look into t he solar option later this fall when we are not using the boat as much. Luckily we are in SE Louisiana, so we'll be able to use much later in the year.
Appreciate the input!
Brian

Back