• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outboard Jet Mounting Question

Troutoholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am new to Jetboating. I purchased a new 2019 Crestliner Retriever, Front Console, 1860 Tunnel with Mercury 80 Jet. Top speed has been about 28 mph. I have to run the jet with the trim fully in. Whenever I try to trim it out I get backsplash. I live in Des Moines, Iowa and run the boat in the rivers around Des Moines. spoke to my dealer however this was the first jet he has worked with so he does not have much experience. I feel like something is just not quite right. I am considering adding a jack plate to fine-tune the adjustment. I cannot find much on-line about the mounting with a tunnel hull. Should the intake be flush with the bottom of the boat or bottom of the tunnel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions....

Last edited:

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Backwash on an outboard Jet is common. I have an Evinrude 80 jet on a 1860 Tracker Grizzley. I had a similar issue when I first mounted it. Water was rolling in right over the stern. I talked to others and was instructed to mount a piece of UHMW right above the intake on the stern. It stopped immediately. My boat isn’t here at the house but I will try to get a pic.

Troutoholic

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
68B16F90-FC57-439B-9419-4A6F1BD73736.jpeg
Backwash on an outboard Jet is common. I have an Evinrude 80 jet on a 1860 Tracker Grizzley. I had a similar issue when I first mounted it. Water was rolling in right over the stern. I talked to others and was instructed to mount a piece of UHMW right above the intake on the stern. It stopped immediately. My boat isn’t here at the house but I will try to get a pic.
Awesome... would love to see the pic

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok I had my dad go out in the barn and take a couple pics but it’s hard to get at. Without something to stop the water I think it just follows the contour of the jet foot up 703DD157-7A01-42D9-8B3D-5639E1F21E5D.jpegB0D97962-D30A-4FBE-941B-EBDB39381AC9.jpeg703DD157-7A01-42D9-8B3D-5639E1F21E5D.jpegB0D97962-D30A-4FBE-941B-EBDB39381AC9.jpeg

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Leading edge sits even or just below the bottom of the boat.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh and I don’t have any science for the deflector. You might check on a river fishing forum. There might be other ideas.

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@WestMIJet We better see a picture of your boat with some successful duck hunters here in a few weeks!