• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Owner's Report, Scarab 255 Open ID! First 50 Hours.

Steve-O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Hi all, we moved to SW Florida in November having been an I/O man most of my boating career. I briefly had a Four Winns Fling back in the 90’s, and had an old Tahiti jet boat in the eighties. I was going to bring my beloved Cobalt 262 to Florida, but everyone said ‘NO!’, don’t do it. The water is too shallow, no one will work on them, etc. So I went boat shopping and came across the 2019 Scarab 255 Open ID. I hadn’t thought about a center console much because I don’t fish (yet), but I did kind of like the idea of sitting up a little higher after all the talk of shallow water.

We looked at some other center console boats, but none of them in this size seemed to have much room for just lounging while underway (the girlfriend) and we both fell in love with the tailgate. There’s plenty of seating, plenty of drink holders and hand rails, it has a great ladder made for a diver coming out of the water with fins on, good ski locker and we liked the overall appearance of the boat...nice lines and we like the color scheme. Curtis at Cycle Springs in Clearwater hooked us up for a test ride. I was hesitant to try another jet boat although we have two Waverunners that we love and have never given a moments trouble. I was worried about the noise/sound. After reading on this forum, I was concerned about low speed handling since we have four miles of idle speed canals before getting to open water. Mainly, I was worried about whether these motors would hold up...are they going to be done in 200 hours or will they go a thousand, I guess we’ll see. When we were looking for a house, a realtor took us out on his boat and we’re just sure he hit a manatee with his outboard...he never even went back to check on it. We’ve seen some pretty cut up manatees since we’ve been here, and we thought, you know, a jet boat wouldn’t much more than give them a headache!

First impressions on our test drive with Curtis went like this…

Since I’m used to the Waverunners, and know how they are in reverse, that wasn’t a problem. Low speed handling is as easy as it was in the Cobalt, it’s just not an issue. And, it sounds pretty cool! Louder than a couple of 4-stroke outboards, but not annoying or obnoxious. Reminds me of a Mazda Rotary spooling up. So, we bought it!

Now, 55 hours later we are still enjoying the boat. It’s thirsty. It uses a good amount of gas, but the motors have been flawless. We have the electronic dash/instrumentation and it’s fun to play with, I just don’t ever want to have to replace it. It came with a good stereo so I left that alone, but added a 12” Simrad for navigation. It’s given more trouble than anything, and that was early on. We have the ACE 300 motors and the boat runs like a striped assed ape topping out at 63.3 mph with three people and half fuel! Don’t let anybody kid you, these boats are fun. We mainly cruise 12 to 20 miles from home and beach out, but the trip out and back is the best part.

Now, what are the downsides? At 8’4” wide, I wish they’d have pushed it to 8’6”. I don’t know how much that would have helped with it wallowing over large waves, but it wouldn’t have hurt. I wish it had more deadrise to help the ride in rough water. But on the other hand, we’re out now on days I wouldn’t have left the dock back home on our lake in Arkansas!

They installed black pinstriping tape where the black meets white gel coat. Not sure why, but my anchor line is rubbing it off at the bow.

The zip in canvass on the T-top flaps in the wind at anything above 25 mph. It will drive you crazy! I’m trying to work that out but for now, I mainly just leave it off. They should really look into that.

There are two little pins that hold the driver’s seat bolster up and in place. The nuts that hold them in place WILL back off and dump your ass into the floor at speed. Some Loc-Tite will fix that. The driver’s seat (the whole bench really) is pretty firm. It’s OK for a while, but on a long cruise you’ll probably stand up a good bit. Needs more, better, thicker padding on all the seats.

It’s cool that if you were to submarine into a large wave, any water in the cockpit drains overboard without going into the bilge. And they’re big drains too! That’s good, but all the overboard drains around the ski locker and engine hatch are of a small diameter tubing and will get plugged up first time the love bugs come out.

Overall fit and finish seems OK, in fact, it’s pretty good just maybe not what I was used to in the old Cobalt.

Some of the stainless steel on the boat looks very robust and is wearing well, others not so much. The dive ladder and the hinges for the tailgate are already rusting and this boats only five months old. Maybe that’s normal in salt, I don’t know.

So far, that’s all I’ve found wrong with the boat, and they’re really small things. I’m hoping someone at Scarab will see this and pass it on up the chain, we’ll see, but fixing these few items would make a pretty good boat a really great one.

Would I do it again? If my only alternative was an outboard, yes, I would. I owned a marina for twelve years and owned dozens of outboards on our rental boats, just never wanted one on MY boat, especially in the ‘skinny water’ of SW Florida.

Thanks, Steve

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
The zip in canvass on the T-top flaps in the wind at anything above 25 mph (YES ITS ANNOYING)
and the fuel tank is small (50 gallons) 👎
I have 250's on mine and I am getting 55mph top speed which is fast. I can imagine how 63mph would be 👍
Overall, I am happy about the boat 😊
I am taking it to the dealership to be serviced and add a shower outlet at the helm

Attachments

Dano19er

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the review Steve-O! I'm considering getting a scarab I've been looking at reviews and I am interested in the twin 300s- 600hp I'd seen a review for the fuel consumption on the 250s I was wondering if you had an idea of what the fuel consumption on the 300s is? I know you said that it's a guzzler but I'm trying to get an idea of how far on a tank of fuel I would get for excursions.
Thanks in advance!
Dano

Steve-O

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Hi Dan0, I wish I could give a more accurate estimate but for instance, my favorite/most common run is about 44 miles out to Cayo Costa and back. Eight of those miles are at just above idle speed, but on return she'll take about 23 gallons. Hope that helps.

Dano19er

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length
Hi Dan0, I wish I could give a more accurate estimate but for instance, my favorite/most common run is about 44 miles out to Cayo Costa and back. Eight of those miles are at just above idle speed, but on return she'll take about 23 gallons. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the quick reply! I know it's always going to vary but that gives me a good idea.

Frivolous Spending

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I have a 2020 Scarab 255 open id that I love. One thing I wish it had was more fuel capacity. Has anyone tried to add another fuel tank in order to take it offshore ? I also have the twin 300's and they do love the gas when you get on it and with 600hp I love to put it in the wind ! I have replaced the hardtop with a custom hardtop because I hated the zip out POS that was standard. I also added two 12" Raymarine screens along with radar. All I need is more fuel to go further to be a great boat !

Riviotta

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Hey all I have 8 hours on my 255 open. My steering must not be correct. The wheel is hard to turn left or right it’s feels crunchy almost. Any insight

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Hey all I have 8 hours on my 255 open. My steering must not be correct. The wheel is hard to turn left or right it’s feels crunchy almost. Any insight
check the cables and make sure they are not jammed or just replace the Hydraulic Steering bar and your good to go. It happens because of lack of grease or just malfunction.

Last edited:

W255openID

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
I had my steering bar replaced, I had the same issue, it was hard to steer and felt "crunchy". unfortunately, they are not sealed very well and really need to be greased properly, so I have them inspect and grease it at every service. I actually had to "break it loose" after sitting for a week or so. it would completely seize up. all good after replacement!

MD23679

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
:)
I had my steering bar replaced, I had the same issue, it was hard to steer and felt "crunchy". unfortunately, they are not sealed very well and really need to be greased properly, so I have them inspect and grease it at every service. I actually had to "break it loose" after sitting for a week or so. it would completely seize up. all good after replacement!

Porpski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Thanks for the great review, Steve.

My family just pulled the trigger on a 2021 255 open ID with the turbo charged 300HP twin rotax engines. it’s only been a week but we’ve been having a blast. It’s a great boat.

You talked about the overboard drains with the small diameter clear piping (which also seem to exist below the engine) - any tips or pointers about upkeep and maintenance on those drains? Does your 2019 have the tank/built in cooler in the very front of the boat that has the built in drain in the bottom? Does that connect to the same system? Our clear drain pipes seem to have ants inside - where do those pipes drain out to? Is there a good way to pump them out? I’ve seen the clear drain pipes in the anchor storage compartment and there seems to be gunk in a low part of the pipe and they seem to have mildew on the inside. I’d love to flush them out with a diluted chlorine mixture but can’t figure out where they drain out to or what the best way to do it is.

Also below the engines there seems to be some sitting water that the clear pipes are not reaching any thoughts on how to get that out?

JetBoat195G

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 G
Boat Length
I can’t help with the tubing routing in your boat, but in case this helps, I bought this wet/dry vacuum on Amazon to get water out of hard to reach places to minimize mildew from growing. It’s small, about 14” long, and has a 6 foot hose and a crevice tool that does a nice job.

Armor All, AA255 , 2.5 Gallon 2 Peak HP Wet/Dry Utility Shop Vacuum , Orange

Attachments

Motodad777

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2020 Scarab 255 open id that I love. One thing I wish it had was more fuel capacity. Has anyone tried to add another fuel tank in order to take it offshore ? I also have the twin 300's and they do love the gas when you get on it and with 600hp I love to put it in the wind ! I have replaced the hardtop with a custom hardtop because I hated the zip out POS that was standard. I also added two 12" Raymarine screens along with radar. All I need is more fuel to go further to be a great boat !
Would you post a pic of your screens and tell me what radar you installed?