• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

permanent ballast installs

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
after receiving my ballast bags and pump I can already tell I think this needs to be a permanent fixture with plumbing and our members tips section is lacking on examples,

@KXCam22 I remember you had a very good write up, could you copy over your ballast install from yjb and post it here for us to use here.

anybody else that has one I would love to see it and hear your experience,

@GiddYupJoe thanks, I had even already "liked" that post, DUH!!! I knew I had seen a couple goods ones but couldn't find it when I searched, I have already asked for it to be added to the tips section, thanks,

@Boat Crazy I've got to get a boat driver to fix my surfitis! I'm trying to fix my paininthebutsitis about facilitating a good time for the kids. I think I'm almost ready to trust my son, I figure at 10mph I can still yell at him, I mean give him driving tips being so close to the boat, If the lake is clear I let my oldest daughter pull people and she does very good!

On a side note and to hijack my own thread, boat crazy, my youngest daughter informed me she like the feel of your wakeboard much better than her current one, can you tell me the size and model she rode?

20o8 model Ronix Vault, I believe a 138. She is not the first to comment about liking that board. If going to purchase, I would look for older models. You can get them at a cheaper price. The boots are Ronix Divide.

So... I had my ballast perm install done for me by someone else. I would be happy to show you things about it, but I don't know what is interesting for me to show you (or what to focus on in the report).

What kind of information are you looking for? like where are the pumps and what kind of pipes, where the pipes are routed, ?? If you have a more specific ask, I can add feedback. Otherwise my information will be very generic like... I have 2 holes in the back of my boat, each go to a pump that's mounted to the aft starboard inside my engine compartment (they have a ball valve in the bilge that can be switched to close the porthole). From there, my aft ballast splits at a high fly switch for port/aft/both channeling of the waterflow. and the second pump goes to the ski locker. Both pumps are controlled with a 3-position rocker that was mounted above my throttle control for "fill off empty".

20o8 model Ronix Vault, I believe a 138. She is not the first to comment about liking that board. If going to purchase, I would look for older models. You can get them at a cheaper price. The boots are Ronix Divide.
@Scottintexas board could be a 139 or 140. I could send you the measurements if you would like.

I can dig up my info a post. I did the whole install myself and know what works and what is easiest. Cam.

@Scottintexas board could be a 139 or 140. I could send you the measurements if you would like.
@Boat Crazy , no thanks, The brand and model really helped, I found a 128 vault on craigslist for $150 with smaller boots so I'll probably get that one, she uses an old cheap obrien right now,

So... I had my ballast perm install done for me by someone else. I would be happy to show you things about it, but I don't know what is interesting for me to show you (or what to focus on in the report).

What kind of information are you looking for? like where are the pumps and what kind of pipes, where the pipes are routed, ?? If you have a more specific ask, I can add feedback. Otherwise my information will be very generic like... I have 2 holes in the back of my boat, each go to a pump that's mounted to the aft starboard inside my engine compartment (they have a ball valve in the bilge that can be switched to close the porthole). From there, my aft ballast splits at a high fly switch for port/aft/both channeling of the waterflow. and the second pump goes to the ski locker. Both pumps are controlled with a 3-position rocker that was mounted above my throttle control for "fill off empty".

thanks for the reply, I'm curious as to what types of pump, if your happy with them, where they are mounted, where they are vented, if you drain by reversing, where the intake hole was drilled, how happy you are with the whole setup,

Scott,
My Johnson ballast pumps have been excellent. I would buy them again. Cam.

I just went over my build.....and I have changed some things. I did replace that HF pump with a Johnson ballast pump, 20 times better. I also don't put the nose weight in the boat anymore and I am getting ready to plumb it to drain over the side instead of out the intake fitting. Right now I have to watch my bags to know when they are empty. Kind of a hassle but not a huge ordeal. I think I am also getting ready to switch out to 12 volt activated ball valves. I hate turning the valves manually.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, I'm curious as to what types of pump, if your happy with them, where they are mounted, where they are vented, if you drain by reversing, where the intake hole was drilled, how happy you are with the whole setup,

When I get my boat back from the awning place I will add more detail. I will likely be looking for higher output pumps - mine feel like they take too long to fill my aft compartments. Yes drain by reversing. Vented using a 1-way valve that connects to my bilge output line. Intake holes are drilled about 2.5-3" above my drain plug and about 3" apart from center points of each hole's diameter.

Overall I'm happy w/ the setup. If I were going to do it again, I would install a 3rd pump with a long hose that connects to nothing (other than a shut off valve) for filling accessory ballast and cleaning/draining stuff. For example, I take water over the bow and fill my ski locker, having that pump with a long hose would be like a hand-held bailing device or bilge pump for whatever compartment I want, that way I don't have to futz around with getting the drain plug for that compartment opened up.

Scott,
Attached is what I did. I would use Johnson pumps today (50% higher GPM). They were not around when I built mine. I have also added an aux port and diverter valve in the ski locker and the rear deck port side. I used FatSac quick connects so I can fill auxillary ballast on the rear deck and bow. I made a custom through hull fitting and brackets for the two valves. With three pumps running, I can ballast up fairly quickly. I highly recommend using Wakemakers for the system. Spencer is a big help.

Attachments

Back