• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help what should I do

jdog4278

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
I was in a car wreck 7 years ago, spinal cord injury, was told I would be paralyzed from neck down. I spent 4 months in hospital, 3 years in a wheelchair, 3 years in therapy and now can get around and function with a walker. I went back to work 3 years ago, and one of my goals was to buy a new boat and continue boating as I have my entire life. I have not been on a boat since before my wreck. I worked my ass off both physically and financially at work and did my part.
This is my TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE BOAT PURCHASE TIMELINE.

June 4th. agreed to purchase new 2019 Scarab 255 ID twin 250's & put down 1K to hold boat and told boat would be ready in 7-10 days. The boat was on lot at dealership.
I also purchased $1,500 of equipment for boat at the same dealership the same day.
June 11th. paid all at once for annual dry slip lease at marina where I would keep new boat, over $500 a month.
June 30th. I picked up boat, dealership could not get boat ready until then, they had issues getting boat to crank, but was told good to go.
July 3rd. first time boat in water ran great.
July 5th. 2nd time boat in water, boat broke down, 1 engine would not crank, took back to dealership, told bad starter, dealership 2 hours from my location.
August 6th. is when I was finally able to pick up boat from repairs losing a month of the Summer.
August 6th. while picking boat up, I asked them to show my father who was with me a setting on Touch Screen before leaving, if I hadn't boat would have been brought back because it would not have cranked when we got home, when attempting to show my father, as I can not get into boat while on trailer(disabled) they realized the boat would not crank, a bad starter relay switch, we spent another 2 hours waiting while they took a switch off another boat and put on mine, keep in mind if I had not asked this question, the boat would not have cranked when we got home.
August 8th. took boat out it ran great.
August 15th. Saturday afternoon boat broke down again, the same engine would not crank, doing exact same thing as before.
I emailed dealership, they are closed on Sunday and Monday so I can not call until tomorrow.

If I take back to dealer and they keep it another month, I would not get back until September 18th and Summer is completely over.
I would have spent over 80K to have a boat a total of 15 days in the Summer.
I believe the boat is a lemon at this point.
I love the boat when it runs on both engines as it should, but my first time on a boat in over 7 years was with this boat and it has been a complete disaster.
It has a 3 year warranty, but that is useless if I can't have it in the Summer. I bought a new boat to avoid this from happening.
The boat currently has less than 12 hours on it.
The entire reason I purchased a Scarab 255 ID was because I use the WakeBoard tower as a large disability bar, I used to wakeboard, the large swim platform allows me to get on and off the boat at the dock, the only other boat I could easily access would be a pontoon. The boat has plenty of storage to keep my walker in. The fact that there is no propeller is huge for me if I fall, which I fall all the time, my hamstrings don't work due to spinal cord injury, I am not worried about hitting a propeller. It is also the only boat from the water while swimming, I can get up on the swim platform from the water all on my own and get back into the boat. I can take boat out by myself and return to marina dock and tie up. My upper body came back all the way, it is just the back of my legs that don't work. I researched forever to find a boat I thought would allow me to use in my situation. It did all I thought it would do for my disability, but none of that matters if it does not run. I am 43 years old and this is the first new anything I have ever purchased. I have never had a new car, boat or motorcycle before, and have never had any issues like this before either. This was supposed to be the best Summer in years for me, but has been the complete opposite.

ANY SUGGESTIONS? Thanks in advance from Wilmington NC

Attachments

• NEW 2019 SCARAB 255 ID TWIN 250s.jpg
    NEW 2019 SCARAB 255 ID TWIN 250s.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 44
First, that sucks. Horrible experience for you. Very sad to not have that for which you paid.

Next: document everything. Keep all the receipts, e-mails, etc. Keep a log of what happens, who you talk to and what they say.

Then get you to a lawyer.

So sorry to hear your story... my best to you! I would check out the lemon laws in your state. Contact the media with your story. Find a good consumer lawyer!

Almost same exact story with my Yamaha. If your lucky, your state has lemon laws for boats. Mine does not, so we have started process for a law suit. Finding a lawyer proved to be difficult but we found one eventually. The Federal Law, The Magnusson Moss Act, is essentially a federal lemon law and is what protects you. You have the right to a replacement boat or a full refund, plus damages, and legal fees.

My advice, get a lawyer now get the process going. I have been dicked around my Yamaha for 3 years and even sent them a letter for arbitration and they basically told me to kick rocks. Hopefully our law suit will be submitted this week. Save all your paper work, and take videos whenever it doesn't happen. Make sure you have the names at everyone at the dealer that witnessed the issue. Be ready to have friends/family sign affidavits of their witness to the issue. When you sue, be sure to sue the manufacture, parent company, the dealership, and the warranty company. Cast that lawsuit net as far and wide as possible, it will give the best change for a quick resolution.

Im not are how much he could help but maybe call New Orleans power sports and try to ask Lenoard if there is any contact he can give you at scarab to help solve this issue as your local dealership hasn't been able to solve the problem.

I’d be willing to bet the starter was fine originally...probably a bad relay then too that the tech misdiagnosed but figured out when the new starter didn't, you know, start.

Maybe something is causing the relay to stick and fail? Or maybe just a bad batch from China. I think I remember reading something about others having relay problems with Sea doo engines

You should be able to swap relays between engines and see if that fixes the problem. Any decent auto parts store should have a matching relay on the shelf.

ETA link

Before you embroil yourself in getting a lawyer and etc., can they fix the boat? Have you lost faith in the boat and/or dealership?

If they cannot fix it quickly or you no longer trust the boat/dealership, talk to them about taking the boat back. The market is very hot (and it will not get cold on the NC coast for months). They might be willing to take it back with little or no loss. You could then buy a different boat from another dealership (or from them if you trust them). It will not solve your boating plans for this season, but you will not have a problem that might well drag on into next year.

FWIW, you should seek legal redress as your final option. Once you say that you are going to sue, the dealership may stop assisting you.

Back