• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Poll based on Winterization thread-when change oil

Do you change oil at the end of the season (during winterization) or at beginning of the season?

• End of Season (During Winterization process)

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Beginning of Season

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • BOTH

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am just curious after reading this thread:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/winterization-debates.11339/

I have always read some people prefer to change oil after the season so boat sits with clean oil while others prefer to do it at beginning of the season after sitting all winter, so they start with clean oil, etc...

Most people on the thread above seem to prefer the first option. I have always done it after the winter (at beginning of boating season)...

Just curious, what do you do?

Based on the results, i may change to end of season... only reason i do it the way i have is that was what was initially recommended to me

I do it at the end of the season so I can be sure there was no water intrusion, that could then freeze

There are no good reasons NOT to change the oil & filter before storage! (I think that double negative worked out!)

WOW! pretty overwhelming so far... I guess i will be changing and doing this at the end of the season... (Plus it is one less thing to do in the spring, so that helps too)

This practice has come from years of marine "best practice". My good friend, now deceased, owned the very first marina on Beverly harbor, MA. He was particularly knowledgeable on marine engines and saw many engines come to him not properly maintained. Realizing that the engines of the past were all iron & steel, oil technology was not what it is today & we cannot remove all the oil from our engines, there are still good reasons for an end of season change. Not all engine components are made from non ferrous material and can rust, pit & stick (valves). It takes the same amount of time to do it fall or spring so I would rather be ready for that odd ball 80-90 degree spring day to take the boat out even if the water is too cold for swimming.

I think a lot of the debate comes from marine vs auto, and perhaps types of oils used. My BMW master mechanic told me to change only in the spring. But it is a road engine with synthetic oil. I could see a bigger concern of water intrusion in a marine environment, and oil acidity being an issue with conventional vs synthetic oils. Not everything is apples to apples.

For me the deciding factor is the PITA factor. If I do it all in the winter, then pulling the boat out is dead easy. I don't have a great spot to work on the boat so it is a challenge.

Living in the south I have a very small window of non-use. (more like limited use). I agree with @Noko in that I perform my services as the hour meter clicks, not per the season.

That being said if I were to need to winterize my boat I would perform an end-of-season oil change/maintenance (perhaps with some Lucus oil) to ensure a good coating of clean oil, also allowing time for a thorough sweep throughout the boat for winter.

Back