• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port impeller sits proud

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am in the process of changing impellers. I decided to pull the pump housing and gently fit them into it instead of possibly letting the scrape as I reassembled the pump to the boat .

@Rana noticed that the port impeller leading edges sit slightly beyond the outer of the pump housing. I compared to the starboard pump and found its impeller leading edges are around half an inch inside the pump housing.

I installed the factory starboard impeller in the port pump and found it sat fully inside the housing as it would on the starboard side. I also reinstalled the factory port impeller and found it sat with the leading edges proud of the pump housing. The issue (feature) must be related to the thread on the 6P600 impellers.

All of the impellers are Yamaha impellers with factory part numbers stamped into them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is an explanation out there?

Here is a picture showing the difference. The port pump is on the right.

IMG_2538.JPG

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It could be to offset the torque. I believe the port impeller is pitched differently than the starboard. With the port impeller a little forward you have a longer moment arm that may help offset the torque. Just a guess.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am in the process of changing impellers. I decided to pull the pump housing and gently fit them into it instead of possibly letting the scrape as I reassembled the pump to the boat .

@Rana noticed that the port impeller leading edges sit slightly beyond the outer of the pump housing. I compared to the starboard pump and found its impeller leading edges are around half an inch inside the pump housing.

I installed the factory starboard impeller in the port pump and found it sat fully inside the housing as it would on the starboard side. I also reinstalled the factory port impeller and found it sat with the leading edges proud of the pump housing. The issue (feature) must be related to the thread on the 6P600 impellers.

All of the impellers are Yamaha impellers with factory part numbers stamped into them.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is an explanation out there?

Here is a picture showing the difference. The port pump is on the right.

View attachment 57935
Yeah, this is strange.
What's the difference in pitch on the leading edge? If you have the data handy.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can not find what it is for your boat right now, the difference can be couple degrees, so pretty substantial.
Port is pitched more aggressively but I always thought this was more of a trailing edge thing. Maybe not.
Do you still have those out? Wonder what the leading edge difference looks like when those sit side by side:

Here is one table I could find

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you put the pumps back together and see how they fit? I would say @swatski is probably a good source on the pumps.

Last edited by a moderator:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the dimension of the impeller the same. Perhaps the height of the impeller is larger to accommodate the pitch. Cam

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, @KXCam22 the manual documents the pitch of the impellers as Port 18.1° / Starboard 15.1°.

I reassembled the pumps with the new impellers last night. If the weather cooperates we will test them out today.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski, @KXCam22 the manual documents the pitch of the impellers as Port 18.1° / Starboard 15.1°.

I reassembled the pumps with the new impellers last night. If the weather cooperates we will test them out today.
Right, that's trailing edge and what you question is leading edges. I'm just surprised it is that much of a difference - I love it! Yamaha used to pay attention to mechanical detail.

--

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The storms kept us in today so the test run will be later in the week.

Interestingly Yamaha had drilled the new impellers for I assume balance. They had made in Taiwan stickers. I wonder whose factory that might be.

IMG_2523.JPG

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Setting the factory impellers side by side this appears to explain it

IMG_2541.JPG

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For reference, I checked my '06 SX210 and the leading edge of both impellers is right at the forward edge of the wear ring section (identical to your port pump).

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Talking about the curve on it?
No, just pitching the port and strbd differently to account for differences in intake efficiency.
The new boats have both impellers pitched the same. They claim it is because of the keel you don't need it, blah, blah. But it is not true. Obviously just cutting cost.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
No, just pitching the port and strbd differently to account for differences in intake efficiency.
The new boats have both impellers pitched the same. They claim it is because of the keel you don't need it, blah, blah. But it is not true. Obviously just cutting cost.

--
I hear ya, yeah, the pitching different is due to pump loading characteristics. A keel doesn't negate it just negates one of the effects it can cause.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely a difference on those in my boat.
IMG_2267rev1.jpg

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bruce,

Did you notice improvement with the replacement impellers?