• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port pump housing damage - and some damage to bracket for lateral thruster and bucket gate clip/mount

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After getting the wood chip off my boat (needed a local mechanic to do it), and all excited to try out my Super Magnum AK that got installed at the same time (already had the Lateral Thrusters put on earlier this summer) i was going to rave on how it was the perfect combo for a 24" yamaha boat. And it was - felt like there is nothing better than a 242 with both of these features.
Last run on the lake - after a few hours of wakeboarding and wake surfing - and then cruising back to the dock - the steering felt sloppy- like i couldn't handle the boat. Then my port thruster was stuck in the open position.
Well - wasn't a rock - but the entire housing came undone after I pulled it out. Worse, the lateral thruster was dangling - and the bracket holding it was bent, and the clip holding the throttle bucket had snaped off. the Magnum AKs were fine. I didn't back into anything and hit nothing forward moving - all deep water lake.
I'm thinking two things - that the bolt housing the LT came undone (but I put those on about 30 boat hours ago earlier this summer - no issues - but maybe not?)
Or when they pulled the pump to get rid of the wood the other day- maybe it wasn't put back in right with the bolts, or maybe when they adjusted the steering cable when the Magnum AKs were put on? Does the LT needed to be unscrewed in any way when taking out the pumps?
I'm not looking to blame anyone - just figuring what to fix and prevent this from happening again.
Here are some pics showing what snapped off the throttle cable link to the port bucket and the bent lateral thruster.

No
(and I had such a great day until the end! - its all good - just having some bad luck!)

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to hear about your problems. I believe most here would agree using blue Locktite would prevent these fasteners from falling out. Either the initial install or your mechanic's reinstallation of these components likely was not done with Locktite.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Definitely the bottom bolt that goes thru the lateral thrusters. That one bolt fell out, then you hit reverse and the thrust on the bucket tilted the nozzle up and busted the hole at the top. And, things went south from there. :)

Same happened to me when installing the older version of the Cobra system on my non articulated keel boat. On the articulated keel version, you don’t have to mess with that bolt.

I don’t think they would have had to, but I’m guessing the shop took the lateral thruster off when pulling the pump.

Hope that helps

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I just had that nozzle break last month, my problem was as stated above, the lower bolt has a spacer that needs to be in place or the bolt works itself free, drops out, then you hit reverse and it the pressure snaps the top housing,

look at my post and see if you lower housing (still in tack because the bolt just fell out shows any threads on it, this will tell you the spacer was left out)

It's an easy fix yourself but will probably cost $400. for the new nozzle, check yamahasportsplaza or partspak

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is why a cringe when someone else works on my boat, at least when you figure out the spacer or locktite was left out there nobody to blame but me,

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yep - same issue. Most likely they didn't use locktite when they removed the LT spacer to remove the pump to clear debris (because I soaked it when installed them at the the beginning of summer) . . . JETBOATPILOT has been super responsible on getting me the parts to get me moving again. Thanks all