• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Potential Scarab Buyer

courtneyl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
We are considering purchasing a 2019 Scarab 165G. My husband and I are both new to boating. We are looking at purchasing a small boat for a small lake so that we can take our kids tubing and waterskiing. Can anyone let me know if there are any major issues that I should be aware of before making this purchase (I have read the forums and have read the mixed reviews...)? Specifically, I have not been able to find anything online about whether the boat we are looking at would be suitable for waterskiing. I note that the connection is quite low on the boat and that it does not have a ski pole like on the Seadoo Speedster. Would we need to purchase the wake tower in order to do any skiing? Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hi, 165 owner here (and pretty active on the forum, so you probably read some of my posts). I can probably answer most of your questions, feel free to post publicly or if you prefer, to send me personal messages if you want back and forth.

For skiing specifically, the tow point does work, but like all jet boats, there's a bit of a rooster tail spray. I've discovered that you have to keep the rope on the longer side so that it's not an issue. But with that being said, it's amazing for skiing. For tubing, the spray is an issue. Again, I believe this to be an issue for many jet boats once again. I bought a "booster ball" (inflatable ball at the mid point of the tow rope. It keeps the rope higher up so that it doesn't drag as much. But it doesn't solve the problem completely. I think the wake tower works best to keep the rope out of the water.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Oh, as for "major" problems, I mean, lots of people have had major problems, it's a lot of hit and miss. I can give you my honest opinion and a list of things I did to improve/fix the boat. No boat is perfect, and some can be lemons. Some QC issues for sure at the manufacturer... but for the most part, it looks like a lot of the major issues are things that are easily fixed but should have been caught when the boat was made. You can check for a lot of this stuff yourself when you get it.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We are considering purchasing a 2019 Scarab 165G. My husband and I are both new to boating. We are looking at purchasing a small boat for a small lake so that we can take our kids tubing and waterskiing. Can anyone let me know if there are any major issues that I should be aware of before making this purchase (I have read the forums and have read the mixed reviews...)? Specifically, I have not been able to find anything online about whether the boat we are looking at would be suitable for waterskiing. I note that the connection is quite low on the boat and that it does not have a ski pole like on the Seadoo Speedster. Would we need to purchase the wake tower in order to do any skiing? Any help that you could provide would be greatly appreciated!!!
A lot of members here have reported major issues with quality. Seems that something has changed with Scarab and they're cutting corners to save $$. Not good as far as we're concerned. Do a search on these forums and read before making that purchase. Good luck!

Oh yeah, Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:. Thank you for joining. Lots of great info here with lots of members to help keep you on the water making memories to last a lifetime. Let us know if we can help.

AKIQPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Hello.

I too am new to this forum but not new to boating or Jet Boats in general. I've been reading everything I can on the Scarab 165 and 195 series and for my wife and I these are a perfect boat. We have lived on the lake for over 35 years and have had dozens of different boats over the years. None of the boats I've owned would be considered "top of the line" so there has always been necessary maintenance and repair even for things that should have been caught at the factory. It seems like the majority of the Scarab Jet series boats are built at a price point near the bottom or mid range compared to a modern prop driven lake boat. Any modern wake, surf or ski boat cost 2 to 3 times what a Scarab jet boat costs. That said, you will need to perform continual maintenance on this type of boat. Little things will always be coming loose or unglued or will wear. This is all part of boat ownership IMO.

I am looking for a boat to keep at our winter destination which is Lake Havasu AZ. We have a little Sea Ray Sport Jet there and I would like to upgrade to something a bit more modern and faster. I'm leaning toward a 165ID because of it's nimble handling and overall style. I've read hundreds of posts all over the net on this boat. Many did not paint a great picture of reliability or quality craftsmanship. I take all those posts with a grain of salt as this is an entry level boat at an entry level price point. My only real concern with a new Scarab Sport Jet is dealer support. There doesn't seem to be a huge dealer network for Scarabs in the Southwest. Sure there are a few but not all that many.

As for issues, one of the biggest thing that scares most people away from these Rotax powered boats is supercharger maintenance. Up until this year with the new Supercharged 300hp ACE, the supercharges needed service every 200 hours. This service isn't difficult or terribly expensive but it can get expensive if you just drop the boat off at the dealer for the scheduled maintenance. Obviously not all Rotax sport jets are supercharged but IMO if you're going to be pulling tubers and skiers you need the extra power of the supercharger.

Long time reader, just signed on to the forum, first post.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
As for issues, one of the biggest thing that scares most people away from these Rotax powered boats is supercharger maintenance. Up until this year with the new Supercharged 300hp ACE, the supercharges needed service every 200 hours. This service isn't difficult or terribly expensive but it can get expensive if you just drop the boat off at the dealer for the scheduled maintenance. Obviously not all Rotax sport jets are supercharged but IMO if you're going to be pulling tubers and skiers you need the extra power of the supercharger.
Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:!!! Thanks for signing up.

The maintenance free BRP 4-Tech engines started coming out a couple years ago. Mine is maintenance free, it's a 2017 with twin 250s. Also, although nice to have, you do not need superchargers to pull skiers or tubes. My Seadoo GTX 3 seater (many years ago) with 2 people pulling a 250 lbs guy on plane had no issues.

AKIQPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Welcome to the forum. :Welcome:!!! Thanks for signing up.

The maintenance free BRP 4-Tech engines started coming out a couple years ago. Mine is maintenance free, it's a 2017 with twin 250s. Also, although nice to have, you do not need superchargers to pull skiers or tubes. My Seadoo GTX 3 seater (many years ago) with 2 people pulling a 250 lbs guy on plane had no issues.
All valid points Dean but I was more specifically referring to the Scarab 165 because that is what the OP was asking about. I thought 2019 was the first year for the maintenance free supercharger but I am likely wrong.

As far as power goes, IMO a 1600 (dry weight) boat with only 150hp loaded up with 2 adults and gear, full of fuel pulling a couple of kids on tubes or one skier will be at the limit of it's ability. Obviously if the kids are 6-8 years old they will have fun but by the time they are 12 or so this just won't be enough power to excite them any more.

Admittedly I don't own a Scarab 165 so my observations could be off by quite a bit.

So the 250HP 1.5L SC Rotax in a 2017 Scarab 165 is also a maintenance free supercharger? This would be great news and help me add to my search options for a new Sport Jet.

Thanks for responding.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So the 250HP 1.5L SC Rotax in a 2017 Scarab 165 is also a maintenance free supercharger? This would be great news and help me add to my search options for a new Sport Jet.
Possible but don't know for sure. Do a search on these forums or maybe someone with a Scarab will chime in. I have a Chaparral (different boat but same 4-Tech BRP engine).

I did find this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-maintenance-free-supercharger.20492/
and this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/200-hour-supercharger-maint-for-2017.14173/

Edited to the correct links

Last edited:

Fluffy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I have a 2019 195 ID and am pretty happy with the boat. Like said above there were a few small items that needed to be addressed but nothing major. I have 25 hours on it in salt water.

AKIQPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
Possible but don't know for sure. Do a search on these forums or maybe someone with a Scarab will chime in. I have a Chaparral (different boat but same 4-Tech BRP engine).

I did find this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/new-maintenance-free-supercharger.20492/
and this: https://jetboaters.net/threads/200-hour-supercharger-maint-for-2017.14173/

Edited to the correct links
Thanks for the links Dean. I read through them and am still a little confused. Seems like it's quite possible a 2017 or newer 250HP rotax does have the maintenance free Supercharger depending on the build date of the engine. This is good news. Even better news is it seems like we could put a maintenance free SC in place of a servicable one for only a few dollars more than the service.

Another question. Does Chaparral make a smaller sportjet similar to the Scarab 165? I will need to look on their website and see what is offered.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Thanks for the links Dean. I read through them and am still a little confused. Seems like it's quite possible a 2017 or newer 250HP rotax does have the maintenance free Supercharger depending on the build date of the engine. This is good news. Even better news is it seems like we could put a maintenance free SC in place of a servicable one for only a few dollars more than the service.

Another question. Does Chaparral make a smaller sportjet similar to the Scarab 165? I will need to look on their website and see what is offered.
They make a single engine 20'. I'm thrilled with my Chaparral. Love everything about it from acceleration, speed, handling, quality, etc. They are a bit pricey but you may find a good deal on one. Just don't get one older than 2017 for the superchargers ;). Let us know what decide to do.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
For the record, I own a 150HP 165. Pulling skiers or tubers are NOT a problem. Even with a full tank of gas, 2 adults in the boat, etc. My brother-in-law last year (36 year's old and super athletic) got pulled skiing. He took off on one ski and complained that I accelerated too hard and "almost ripped my arms out". So it's definitely not necessary for skiing or tubing to have more than 150HP. If you want the bigger motor, you need to look elsewhere for justification.

AKIQPilot

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Other
For the record, I own a 150HP 165. Pulling skiers or tubers are NOT a problem. Even with a full tank of gas, 2 adults in the boat, etc. My brother-in-law last year (36 year's old and super athletic) got pulled skiing. He took off on one ski and complained that I accelerated too hard and "almost ripped my arms out". So it's definitely not necessary for skiing or tubing to have more than 150HP. If you want the bigger motor, you need to look elsewhere for justification.
This is good info. Thanks for replying and correcting my earlier perception of the 150hp 165. :thumbsup:

courtneyl

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Thank you all for your input. I do appreciate it!

Terrib

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
We have a 2018 195 open id with a 250hp, we tried to pull some people on a tube yesterday and once we got going what we thought was smoke was coming out the back. The mechanic from the dealer said it was steam because the engine was working harder but that doesn’t seem right to us. We weren’t going very fast so a little concerned about that. Any suggestions?

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We have a 2018 195 open id with a 250hp, we tried to pull some people on a tube yesterday and once we got going what we thought was smoke was coming out the back. The mechanic from the dealer said it was steam because the engine was working harder but that doesn’t seem right to us. We weren’t going very fast so a little concerned about that. Any suggestions?
Not sure where you're from or what the water temp is but mine usually put steam out the back. This is common and nothing to worry about. I joke with people by telling them that the boat been running okay but please keep an eye out for smoke. Never fails, "I SEE SMOKE!!!" I then explains how the cooling system works. All's good.

Winerocks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I don’t have a 165; but I do own a 215 Scarab (I’m not trolling). If you’ve spent any time on the water, you’ve seen 20’ pontoons with 10 people on board pulling a tube with 2 kids using a 100hp two-stroke engine. A 165 Scarab with any of the available power plants can handle a tube or skiers no problem. As Luc mentioned, it is pretty turbulent in the wake, but a long rope makes it better. Even with ski boats, most skiers don’t stick to a line right behind the boat anyways.
For every complaint, there are many very satisfied owners. All boats require regular maintenance as you know. I’ve spent 10x the time and money maintaining my Merc I/O’s that I have on my Scarab. The major difference for me is that a little twig can mess up a day of boating with a jet. Doesn’t cost anything to pull the stick out, but it is frustrating. If something goes wrong on an I/O, it is big money and time.
If your expectations are realistic, you will be very happy.

Terrib

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 Open ID
Boat Length
Not sure where you're from or what the water temp is but mine usually put steam out the back. This is common and nothing to worry about. I joke with people by telling them that the boat been running okay but please keep an eye out for smoke. Never fails, "I SEE SMOKE!!!" I then explains how the cooling system works. All's good.
I’m in Wasaga Beach Ontario, the water temp is about 20-24 Celsius. Ok thank you, it’s our first boat and are learning as we go. Sure scared me though but I think I’ve seen it with some sea doo boats and thought they had trouble also. I won’t get rid of the tube just yet then :)