• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pre-Summer Projects Ready to Start

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Ok group several upcoming projects to get my 210 FSH sport ready for the loong summer.

1. Adding an Electronics box to my T Top
2. Making the Live well dual purpose, live well and fresh water wash down.
3. Adding an underwater transom LED light.
4. Adding 2 Cone speakers to the T Top.
5. Adding 2 additional Cup/Rod holders to the bow.
6. Adding 2 new pop up cleats mid-ship for easy fender deploy.
7. Adding VHF Radio and Antenna.
8. Adding JBP lateral thrusters.

If anyone has any suggestions, pictures, diagrams of similar projects (especially electrical), all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

NateKurtz

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haven’t ran across the dual purpose live well. Excited to see how you do it!

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Haven’t ran across the dual purpose live well. Excited to see how you do it!
Not my idea (unfortunately)...LOL Check out "Out on the Reef" on you tube, the guy is like the McGiver of boating.....

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok group several upcoming projects to get my 210 FSH sport ready for the loong summer.

1. Adding an Electronics box to my T Top
2. Making the Live well dual purpose, live well and fresh water wash down.
3. Adding an underwater transom LED light.
4. Adding 2 Cone speakers to the T Top.
5. Adding 2 additional Cup/Rod holders to the bow.
6. Adding 2 new pop up cleats mid-ship for easy fender deploy.
7. Adding VHF Radio and Antenna.
8. Adding JBP lateral thrusters.

If anyone has any suggestions, pictures, diagrams of similar projects (especially electrical), all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Check this out for VHF antenna install, I wish @Mainah posted before I did mine.
Warning –Long post but well worth the read if you are looking to install a VHF antenna

Primer

In preparing for my first trip to Bimini I wavered back and forth on whether to install a fixed VHF radio. One of my concerns was having the antenna mounted all of the time even though hardly ever used. When I became convinced that I needed to install a fixed VHF radio and antenna I started down the road of researching marine VHF antennas and learned a lot. I will start with photos, where I ended up, and then share some research details around marketing and performance of VHF antennas in general. If you are looking to purchase an antenna then at the very least read the last part.

View attachment 69985 View attachment 69986 View attachment 69987 View attachment 69988 View attachment 69989
View attachment 69999

Where I Ended Up

I have a 2016 242 LS and I want to keep everything looking clean and mount the antenna on the tower. I quickly discovered that most VHF antennas have the cable exiting the antenna above the base (ferrule) and permanently attached. One could cut the cable and add connectors but surely someone had figured out a better way for sport boats should they want to stow their antenna instead of just folding it down. Well that someone is Pacific Aerials. They have two product lines that include the connector within the base (ferrule) of the antenna such that one can just unscrew the antenna. Turns out they make a cost effective 6 foot antenna in black which is the color and length I was looking for as well ( model P6125). Keep in mind that you will have to purchase a Pacific Aerials mount as well given that the cable is connected directly within the mount. The also offer the style with the cable directly attached to the antenna

While on their site I noticed a new version of a ratcheting mount which more streamlined, modern looking, and visually appealing (model is P6759 and there is different model for antennas with the cable direct in the antenna). I found only one online store with a listing for that mount but when the package arrived they had sent me the older version. After two weeks of back and forth with them they could not give me a firm date of when they would have the newer version. I reached out to Pacific Aerials in New Zealand via email and they responded within an hour. They put me in touch with the first US wholesale distributor that would be receiving them and the distributor shipped to me the same day they received the shipment at wholesale cost as a one time courtesy to Pacific Aerials and me.

When choosing a VHF antenna it really comes down to mounting type, length, external material (metal whip vs plastic coated whip vs. fiberglass), and color. I knew that an 8 footer would be extremely difficult if not impossible to stow on board so I went with a 6 foot (1.8 meter) which I know I can stow. I drilled and tapped the holes for the mount into the top aluminum cross piece of the tower (1/4” 20 TPI ¾” deep threads in 1” solid aluminum) and ran the cable from the mount down through the tower. Thanks to @gmtech for sharing how he mounted his antenna. The aft tube on my tower had a partial obstruction likely from how it is made and I had to get creative with a fish tape and wire ties to get it pulled through without making a larger hole in the tower for the cable.

In my opinion it does not take away from the looks of the clean lines of the boat and makes a great flag holder (flags mounted below the radiator inside the top of the antenna) if you can figure out a way to mount flags to it. One could try wire ties but I did not like that idea so I cut, bent, and drilled some thick aluminum sheet I had on hand to make my own custom clamps with a hole tab to clip tiny locking S biners to. I did cut part base plate off the mount because of the mounting location some of that plate would have been just floating there. Not needed but I did cut, shape and polish so it looked like it was made that way. I also choose to use a 1/16” thick piece of 60 durometer rubber cut to size in between the mount and the tower to prevent powder coat chipping and possible metal on metal noise. Probably not needed but I felt right for me.

At the end of the day I spent WAY too much time on all of this between research, chasing the perfect mount, overthinking, and customizing everything but I am super pleased with the results.

The Marketing and Performance Rabbit Hole

I went deep down the rabbit hole and learned a few things. First of all most marine VHF antenna’s dB rating is pure marketing. dBi is the true rating and that is important. Normal gain antennas are half wave type resulting in a dBi or signal amplification/loss rating of 3 dBi. What most marketing folks do is add to that based upon the length of the antenna to get to the DB rating you see most commonly. Longer antennas are better in that they will increase range due to horizon but the truth is almost all half wave VHF antennas have a true signal rating of 3dBi regardless of what the marketing says. So they all transmit the signal essentially equally but a higher antenna will transmit further due the curvature of the earth and line of sight.

Half Wave vs. Co-linear? Half wave antennas have one radiation element where Co-linear (aka high gain) have multiple radiation elements to boost the signal strength. So high gain (co-linear) sounds better right? Well not for most of the boats on this site. If your boat rocks and bobs a lot then this will have a huge impact on the performance of a co-linear (high gain) antenna. Without getting too technical on this one, bottom line is for a most boats under 30 feet a half wave antenna is better.

So at the end of the day one half wave antenna of equal length to another will not perform differently with any human perceivable difference. That said there is a electronic measurable signal loss when there are more connectors and/or more cable length so the extra connector in the mount of the Pacific Aerials and on the radio end to upsize their connector (included) does give it an ever so slight performance disadvantage over an antenna with enough fixed cable to reach the radio with a full size connector. Again that disadvantage is only measurable with precision electronic equipment and is rather insignificant. That said the small connector on the cable end is great for pulling through a tower and the boat. The ability to remove the antenna is a huge plus for me as well. A wire that is much longer than it needs to be will have a bigger impact.

For those still reading I am not making a case for one brand over another it terms of performance, just the opposite in fact. Mounting and gain type will narrow things down then pick length (longer is better), material, and color. Pacific Aerials customer service to one US Consumers email (me) was very fast and had a great result. Their marketing is also not trumped up like other brands. In fairness I did not reach out other brands so can only say they were my choice and I would choose them again over another. Hopefully my trip down the VHF antenna rabbit hole helps someone else.

j_shoe99

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Please update the post w/your photos after you get the installs done. :)

I know You know

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Let the shopping begin. Here are some of the items I have ordered for the above mentioned projects. I will post links to the items as I complete the installations (just in case they don't work)......LOL

Attachments

Tom1963

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Hi, you have a great list of projects.
I installed mid-ships pop up cleats on my 190.
Needed to cut an access panel to properly install with thick backing plate.
The final result was great although the gel coat color match of the white was not perfect. But it’s all hidden by the topside overhang. I hope these pictures help your project. Contact me anytime for more pointers on this install.

Attachments

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I know you know, are you in the Keys now? Be here till Wed. In lslamarada getting beat up by the wind tonight.