• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Prepurchase Inspection

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Folks:
Been shopping for our first Yamaha SX240/242 LTD and a couple of sellers have said "if it makes you more comfortable, get a survey done". One vendor (POP Yachts) actively encourages it.

But I'm thinking that since I'm looking at relatively new (2011/12/13) boats - some even still under warranty - that a survey is overkill. IMHO, I think I should be able to spot issues... if only I knew where to look!

So, other than the obvious - that big gash down the side, the battery acid leaking everywhere, etc. - what are the subtle things to look for? (I know about the oil cooler bolt issue in the older 240s, BTW.)

Thanks for any advice.

Personally, what I can't see with my eyes obviously, I hope to find on a water test. That's as far as I've gone, and I'm shopping the same boat right now (and picking it up this weekend). There are others here far more knowledgeable about more specifics to look for.

What I wanted to really add here, was if you are looking at boats listed by popyachts, see where the boat is located and go search that local craigslist. You'll likely find the same boat listed for 3-6K less. I found this to be true with virtually every boat I looked at listed by them.

And finally, check out performance east in NC. After I finalized the deal on the boat I'm buying, they listed a 2011 242LS for 35K. I know nothing about it, but the price seems really good (considerably better than the one I'm buying, even). Might be worth looking into, depending how far out you are looking.

Like buying anything preowned, you need to just look it over very carefully. You want to run through all the screens on the YDIS and see if it has any codes. It is not abnormal for an overheat to register. This can happen because of failure to install the clean out plugs, weed/vegetation ingestion, or trying to run high rpms on a garden hose for water. The engines are pretty self protecting so this isn't too big a deal. But you can find out all kinds of things besides engine hours. All systems should work. Buying a boat from a dealer has problems if you ask me, rarely will they provide or forward all service records. I would want those at a minimum. If a Yamaha dealer did all the service, there will be a record under the hull and engine numbers. Depending on your level of investment, a 2012 boat has the exhaust resonator (quieter), the TDE (thrust directional enhancement), and improved oil cooler and bolts. I know many guys mod boats, especially our Yamaha boats. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do these things. I would look closely at added equipment and accessories, the way they were installed, and what equipment was added. Top of the line equipment can add value, run of the mill won't, and much can be just what the doctor ordered. Boats stored indoors for their life could demand a premium and if not priced that way are a bargain. Good luck on the search and I will add stuff as I think of it.

Thanks, guys.

@veedubtek done that - and found more than one that was on POP also on CL. Always several grand less - which makes sense since POP takes 10%. I wish I could go for that 242LS, unfortunately there are a couple of low bridges in our area such that a tower is pretty much out of the question (even the movable ones - too much of a pain to raise and lower twice on almost every outing!), so I'm limited to SX240s or non-"S" 242s, which are few and far between it seems. [PS: what did you end up getting?]

@txav8r stupid question: YDIS is on the dash gauges, right? Or do you mean with the cable and software on eBay?

@soggyshoes Thanks! :banghead: I knew there had to be a thread on here somewhere!

Sorry folks, should have tried to search with a bunch of different terms...

My biggest concern is shopping a boat from her in the mid-Atlantic up through the north east - the way this winter is going, a lake test won't be possible until what, June? July?

Yes, on the dash gauges. You can get codes and all the info, you just can't do major troubleshooting and activate systems like the software/cable and computer will let you do.

Thanks, guys.

@veedubtek done that - and found more than one that was on POP also on CL. Always several grand less - which makes sense since POP takes 10%. I wish I could go for that 242LS, unfortunately there are a couple of low bridges in our area such that a tower is pretty much out of the question (even the movable ones - too much of a pain to raise and lower twice on almost every outing!), so I'm limited to SX240s or non-"S" 242s, which are few and far between it seems. [PS: what did you end up getting?]

I ended up getting a 2011 242LS, just not that one. Found one with 17 hours on it fairly local.

Not much help now, but a 2011 sx240 just ended on ebay 2 days ago for $28.500. I almost went for that instead as well. Really tempting. Had that marina been open on Monday, I bet I woulda ended up with it.

I recall another sx240, I believe 2011, on the Columbia, SC craigslist for I wanna say 33K. I believe pop also has that one listed, and that's how I found it as well.

Oh, another one. Umm...2012? sx240 in New Hampshire (denton, maybe?). Same deal. I wanna say it was around 33K too. Both of those were on boattrader listed by pop. I imagine you've seen em already, but just incase!

Best of luck,

One more hint to offer: smell the oil. Frequently people know to look at the oil and will judge whether it has been changed recently by the color (or if it has water in it by the emulsification--eek!). If some tragic overheat occurred or anything like that, it is impossible to get a burned smell out of the engine.

Works with automatic transmission fluid, too, if you are buying a car.

Done the oil sniff test numerous times with cars - but never thought about doing it with a boat! Which is daft... both are oil-lubricated engines...
Thanks for the reminder!

Man, I love that smell. That smell means I'm about to have some fun. (I'm a technician).

When I bought mine, I found another member of the forum to do the inspection for me (@motorboater). He actually owned the exact year, make and model...... right down to the same color. IMO, he did a much better job than a surveyor would have because he knows all fo the particulars of this boat and the known issues. I think you will find that many surveyors don't want to touch jet boats (at least that was my experience). Best of luck.

When I bought mine, I found another member of the forum to do the inspection for me (@motorboater). He actually owned the exact year, make and model...... right down to the same color. IMO, he did a much better job than a surveyor would have because he knows all fo the particulars of this boat and the known issues. I think you will find that many surveyors don't want to touch jet boats (at least that was my experience). Best of luck.
I would concur with this because most don't know these boats. That said, they do know boats and boating systems. So they can go through those if the seller doesn't know his boat. I think a prerequisite is to find a knowledgable seller, that has been a forum participant, that way, you know they knew what they were doing!

Yes, on the dash gauges. You can get codes and all the info, you just can't do major troubleshooting and activate systems like the software/cable and computer will let you do.

Hey, @txav8r / Mel...

I meant to ask when you posted this: is there a list of the codes somewhere - and which ones should be concerning? Can you point me in the right direction if it's here on the forum somewhere? (Honest! I did look! Even found all the threads in the "reference" thread that include my original question... :rolleyes: That one has a link to the "flash codes" but for the older 230s.)

Thanks!
Mauro

(PS: what sort of aviator? Curious because the *other* way I burn $ is by renting/flying a Cirrus SR-20 and a Diamond DA-40...)

I bought my boat "sight unseen" (photos only) and paid a marine surveyor to go over it and test the engines. It was cheap insurance. Cam.

@msavold , the list is long. I was taking a few pics of my service manual pages, but it is many, from Chapter 9, page 1 through 20. See if you can find a service manual for sale, I have seen them. I can copy a page or two for you if you have specifics, but only 2 digit codes are displayed on the boat screens and only 1 code at a time, even if the ECM is registering more than 1 for an event. You must use YDIS to diagnose and it too is available online if you look. PM me if I can answer any questions...and I fly a B-737-800 for my day job, that takes me into nights/weekends/holidays. Pleasure flying is something I have heard about:winkingthumbsup" and is good work if you can get it!

@txav8r ... yep, found a PDF on line. Thanks for the heads up Been doing some reading and will probably look for a YDIS next (ebay) since it'll probably be useful to have. (Hope your day job hasn't been too much of a pain these past couple of weeks with all this crap wx around!)

Weather is weather. It is as much a pain for us as it is passengers. It messes with our schedules and pay too.

Back