• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Proper procedure limping back on single engine?

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m seriously considering a new 212 (am in no hurry and happy to wait till November December to avoid dealer BS).
One of the attractive features is having twin engines on such a small platform. Not feasible on conventional powered boats.

Normally on conventional setups you should be able to plane w a failed second engine.

Do these jets accomplish this? Or do they only act as a kicker would ?

Thank you.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
You should be able to get on plane with a single engine. It'll take a little bit long to get there. You also MUST shut off the tow valve for the dead engine. Otherwise water will get pushed into the engine.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It will be very difficult to get on plane with one engine, and your control (steering) will be way out of whack and need to be adjusted accordingly, i.e. you will be fighting its natural tendency to move as it will move in only one direction with only one jet thrust instead of 2 equal ones. They are completely different from twin props. But you do need to shut off water access to the dead engine if you are moving above wake speed. The good thing is, it is highly doubtful you have a yamaha engine fail, unless it is a 2 stroke which have not been in production for years.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn’t realize one of my engines didn’t start once. I hammered the throttles down and quickly realized something was off and ripped it back to idle. I think my 240 would have eventually got on plane in the calm water.

As was said above, don’t run above no wake speeds on one engine unless you got a tow valve to shut off the water flow from getting to the second motor. Best case you are going to be doing a lot of oil changing and hoping for no damage. Worse case you crank it with water in the cylinders and it’s going to be a pricy repair bill.

In my case of maybe 5-10 seconds of above no wake speed running no damage was done. Idk how big the water box is on these motors, but that wasn’t enough time to fill it up. I would assume after a minute or two your probably toast.

That happened on probably my 4th or 5th time out in the boat, even with only a couple hours on the boat it was very obvious something was off immediately.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I’m seriously considering a new 212 (am in no hurry and happy to wait till November December to avoid dealer BS).
One of the attractive features is having twin engines on such a small platform. Not feasible on conventional powered boats.
Like the others said, you can't go above NO WAKE speeds or the water pressure will back up into the engine. Same for being towed back, only at NO WAKE speeds. You can install tow valves to shut off the water so you can go faster on one engine though. I like the redundancy too, but if I had an issue, I'd be happy to limp back at no wake speeds to figure out the problem.

JWExperience

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sombody mentioned that it may help to open the bucket on the dead engine so water can flow out better. Not sure how much it helps if you’re trying to plain, I haven’t tested it. Just passing what I read...

slickstick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
You should be able to get on plane with a single engine. It'll take a little bit long to get there. You also MUST shut off the tow valve for the dead engine. Otherwise water will get pushed into the engine.
How do you do this? Looks like some posters are saying it requires modifications/aftermarket valve installation. Seems funny Yamaha wouldn't allow for this stock, as that's a big selling point of having dual engines.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
How do you do this? Looks like some posters are saying it requires modifications/aftermarket valve installation. Seems funny Yamaha wouldn't allow for this stock, as that's a big selling point of having dual engines.
You're right, it is absurd they don't put these valves in. I did it to my 192 but I'm not sure on your boat. Hopefully someone will chime in and share.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ya you got to buy a valve and put it on the water lines for each engine. I haven’t done it so I won’t lead you down a wrong path but there are threads on here that can point you in the right direction. Seems pretty straightforward if you got a little mechanical ability.

Yamaha seems to like to cut cost where they can. I could see the argument where people not knowing what they are doing turn them off and overheat/seize a motor.

Also, it helps boat sales and maintenance shops when people break their boats. 😜

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
On my 192, the impeller is also used to pump water thru the engine to cool it down. It is this water line that will be cut and a valve (PVC or Brass) will be inserted. It's easy to understand but difficult to reach (at least for me anyways). Pick a place where you can access it easily and be able to turn the handle without much struggle.

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The alternative to the valve install is to keep a hose clamp on board and use it in a pinch.