• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

PTM Edge $4,000 Wake Board Racks on the 255XD thoughts on no bungee cord system? I just bought Monster Racks Wake surf racks w/swivel not loving them

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Guys curious for those of you with the new 255 boats and these new PTM edge $4,000 racks that don’t use bungees how you like them so far? I just paid about $800 for some Monster Racks in the new black salt water resistant racks with swivel arms. We have been out in the ocean in not crazy chop but still chop and the racks were very tight to factory specs and still adjusted and moved around and had to be retightened twice already. They move around to much when bolted down to the tower. I did what torque wrench setting called for in their install sheet. Anyone else having this issue? We don’t always have calm water as we boat in the ocean and bay not on a calm lake. Not sure what to do or what my options are or if these newer racks are worth the money or if they are just gonna move around also or maybe the factory goes much tighter on torque wrench? Also I’ve only used the new racks 3 times so far and can already see wear on the bungee cords. I honestly can’t believe these new PTM racks are $4,000. I thought $800 was a lot for racks when I got the Monster racks and would be more then enough. Also the racks they used to use for the last few years stock with Yamaha had a pin you would pull out to swivel racks and they did away with that system and now it’s a knob you have to spin off and on each time to swivel. The old pin system was much better IMO. Looks like the PTM ones use the pin as well. I read on a few Malibu forums that they didn’t like the new PTM Edge $4,000 racks because the clamps don’t do a good enough job holding the boards in place and people have been selling them off their stocks boats and buying Skylon Racks which are less expensive and hold the boards better? Thoughts?

Last edited:
For $4000, the company should send a personal assistant out to hold your wakeboards for you!

Sorry, no thoughts on actual use of any of these racks. We don't have one yet, but will be in the market for a wakeboard/wakesurf combo rack soon (not because we wakesurf but because I hear the wakesurf slot can hold a Zup You Got This 2.0 board, which I see in our future).

It’s crazy and people wonder why the cost of boats go up. $4000 racks is nuts IMO. I just don’t get that pricing.

For $4000, the company should send a personal assistant out to hold your wakeboards for you!

Sorry, no thoughts on actual use of any of these racks. We don't have one yet, but will be in the market for a wakeboard/wakesurf combo rack soon (not because we wakesurf but because I hear the wakesurf slot can hold a Zup You Got This 2.0 board, which I see in our future).
It does…. Sort of. That zip board is pretty dang wide. It will fit in the slot, but I think it feels like it would be wobbly once the bungee stretches some. It’s really holding it tight to keep the pressure from the tips of the forks from pressing into the board. I usually choose not to put it in the rack.

It does…. Sort of. That zip board is pretty dang wide. It will fit in the slot, but I think it feels like it would be wobbly once the bungee stretches some. It’s really holding it tight to keep the pressure from the tips of the forks from pressing into the board. I usually choose not to put it in the rack.
Thanks for that info! I wonder if all the brands of the wakeboard/wakesurf combo racks are similar or if some are more accomodating of the zup board than others. I may have to dig around to look at the exact opening dimensions of different brands before I buy one.

Guys curious for those of you with the new 255 boats and these new PTM edge $4,000 racks that don’t use bungees how you like them so far? I just paid about $800 for some Monster Racks in the new black salt water resistant racks with swivel arms. We have been out in the ocean in not crazy chop but still chop and the racks were very tight to factory specs and still adjusted and moved around and had to be retightened twice already. They move around to much when bolted down to the tower. I did what torque wrench setting called for in their install sheet. Anyone else having this issue? We don’t always have calm water as we boat in the ocean and bay not on a calm lake. Not sure what to do or what my options are or if these newer racks are worth the money or if they are just gonna move around also or maybe the factory goes much tighter on torque wrench? Also I’ve only used the new racks 3 times so far and can already see wear on the bungee cords. I honestly can’t believe these new PTM racks are $4,000. I thought $800 was a lot for racks when I got the Monster racks and would be more then enough. Also the racks they used to use for the last few years stock with Yamaha had a pin you would pull out to swivel racks and they did away with that system and now it’s a knob you have to spin off and on each time to swivel. The old pin system was much better IMO. Looks like the PTM ones use the pin as well. I read on a few Malibu forums that they didn’t like the new PTM Edge $4,000 racks because the clamps don’t do a good enough job holding the boards in place and people have been selling them off their stocks boats and buying Skylon Racks which are less expensive and hold the boards better? Thoughts?
new 25ft wake boats have the 2k system with bungies. They are not the ferrari of racks version i saw on their site.

Thanks for that info! I wonder if all the brands of the wakeboard/wakesurf combo racks are similar or if some are more accomodating of the zup board than others. I may have to dig around to look at the exact opening dimensions of different brands before I buy one.
Just look for one with the longest forks you can find. Not sure if that’s a standard length or not. Not to scare you off… it will fit, I just wouldn’t trust it in rougher water.

Yamaha used to use Monster Rack and now does not. I wonder if Yamaha jumped ship from Monster Racks because they didn’t like the new spin knob rotate system and also the fact that the arm attachments are not as high quality as the old system they made?

Buy some Allen wrenches with sockets so you can really tighten the bolts. I thought I had mine tight until I put a socket on it.

Back