• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Pulling tubes with waverunner

W.T.W.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Jet Ski
Boat Length
PWC
New to jet skis. Wanted to know about how to keep rope from sucking up into ski?

Not to be a smart A$$ but the answer is, don’t drive over the tow line.

not sure about the laws in your state but in CA the driver and spotter are different people and you need them both. You may only tow up to the pwcs seating capacity. For example, If your pwc can hold three people, you can only have one person on the tube, the other two spots are occupied by the driver and spotter (this rule applies to boats as well).

New to jet skis. Wanted to know about how to keep rope from sucking up into ski?
If you're talking about how to keep the rope out from under the ski when changing riders from the ski to the tube, you can coil the rope up on the tube and have the tube rider let the line out as you idle away on the ski. Just make sure to give a real good push to get the tube away from the back of the ski before starting the engine.

I second Ronnie's note - I think in most areas you are required to have a separate driver and spotter, so make sure you have a PWC with 3+ capacity and two people on the PWC when towing.

For avoiding sucking up the line, most tow ropes will float, which helps avoid them going under the ski unless you run them over. I've towed on a ski before and didn't have any issues with sucking up the rope. I didn't even think much about it to be honest.

It would be wise to have something onboard to cut the rope, just in case. Good luck!

Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant about the rope being suck up. I knew about spotters and seat capacity. Didn't know if I needed a shock tube or something like that was necessary. Yes I know don't run over the line.lol Thanks

While it may not be a "best practice" some states / locations are similar to GA.

Every boat towing a person(s) on water skis, or a similar device must have:
  • A person, in addition to the boat operator, capable of observing the towed person(s) at all times.
    OR
  • A wide-angle rearview mirror mounted such that the operator can observe the towed person(s) at all times.
When we had our PWC it allowed my wife to pull me on the wakeboard (VA). She is not yet comfortable doing the same with the boat as of yet. We have grown sons and it is usually just us on the boat. While I don't want to be unsafe or suck up a rope I also don't want to surf just once or twice a season, which was the case last year.

Sorry I wasn't specific. I meant about the rope being suck up. I knew about spotters and seat capacity. Didn't know if I needed a shock tube or something like that was necessary. Yes I know don't run over the line.lol Thanks

To Ronnie's point, if you have a spotter, you have someone responsible for watching the rope. Coiling the rope in an "open" palm like a lifeguard ensures there is no slack between tube and PWC, and also limits the chances of that rope sucking someone in if it were to get wrapped up. Coiling is best with engine off for this reason. Laying it to uncoil on the tube or swimdeck of the pwc with the entire rope visible is important.

I am very happy to admit that I am not part of the "oops I sucked up a rope" club, as one person is always dedicated to managing the rope when we tow, no matter the watercraft. There is no magic tricks or mystery, it just puts responsibility on one person, that's all it takes.

Back