• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Purchasing a Yamaha AR230

Jobiwan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am new to the website and love it. I am looking to purchase a 2009 Yamaha AR 230 and I would be the third owner. It currently only needs a new head gasket (~$1200). What should I look for to ensure the boat is otherwise OK. It is a good deal at $18K.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wouldn't pay 18k for a boat that wasn't water ready

What makes them think it's just a gasket?

Are you going to do it yourself or a mechanic?
If someone else I'd at minimum have them (a jetski shop familar with mr1 engines) go over everything

I would proceed with extreme caution

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I totally agree with @Scottintexas I paid $19 for mine last fall, water ready (Didn’t need anything). Could be a head gasket that turns into warped head or deck which requires more work or could go even deeper. Proceed cautiously.

Jobiwan

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the pointers. I was planning to have a jet boat mechanic work on it as I am not that savvy. Otherwise the other engine runs fine and the hull appears good.