• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi guys,

Just finished my warning label delete (except for the conversation starter on the stern) and the addition of Seadek on areas of the bow, stern, walk through and head compartment that didn't have it. As I was working on the this I thought about adding the push button start that they have on the E series boats. My question is does anyone know if you are able to buy and install the push button start from Yamaha that they use on the E series? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Ddip1125 - I will be doing a custom push button install this weekend. I have designed a system using two programmable relay boards that will still allow the keys to function as normal and will require keys in on position. I am adding one start button that will require only one short press and will start one engine then the other in sequence. The stop button will be an extension of the lanyard saftey and will kill both engines simultaneously with a short press. Total cost around 50 bucks. I will do a detailed post once my design is verified on my boat but can't see why it will not work. This is not an off the shelf car starter type as I did not find any suitable for our use case. I did not look into a factory e/x series as I assume the cost would be prohibitive if even possible and I like the single button for start and stop respectively while still being able to use the key for individual operation if desired.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I love the idea guys. I never knew that the newer boats had a push button system.

@Mainah it sounds like you're well on the way to bringing this to life. One thing that came to mind reading your post (and it's possible that I misread it) that would concern me is that you stated one button would start both engines in a sequential order. My concern would be if the first engine was incapacitated for some reason (like sucking up a ski rope) would you still have the ability to fire up the second engine and limp to safety?

Anyway, I try to learn something new every day. Looks like I have here. So now I can go to bed ;)

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@itsdgm - The keys will function independently and without the buttons just as they do today. So you have a choice of either. Making sure I could start or stop only one engine was a must. If in a sucked up rope scenario I forget to use the key and hit the modded start button instead the worst that will happen is the the engine will still try to crank for the set amount of time ~1 second before moving on to the next one.

I forgot to mention this mod will work on almost any fuel injected boat that has keyed ingnition switch(s) just less parts and wiring for a single engine.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@itsdgm - The keys will function independently and without the buttons just as they do today. So you have a choice of either. Making sure I could start or stop only one engine was a must. If in a sucked up rope scenario I forget to use the key and hit the modded start button instead the worst that will happen is the the engine will still try to crank for the set amount of time ~1 second before moving on to the next one.

I forgot to mention this mod will work on almost any fuel injected boat that has keyed ingnition switch(s) just less parts and wiring for a single engine.
That sounds great. Make sure to start a thread and take pics along the way.

Dhow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Wow sounds like a cool mod hope you share with us

Ddip1125

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just so everyone is aware I talked to my dealer today about the push button start from the E series boats and they basically said if you wanted to do this it would cost a fortune. Yamaha makes the ignition part of their compulink so it ties into the motor and throttle. There is also an additional CPU that has to be added to make that work. So that pretty much throws that idea out the window. @Mainah we are counting on you for this one!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Good news so far. I received the parts and wired them up on my bench to input the settings and comfirm operation sans boat. I have sprayed the circut boards in CRC urethane as it seemed like the prudent thing to do. I have also done up a laymans picture based wiring diagram in power point and saved as a jpeg. The only x factor is the boat at this point which I pick up tomorrow but based on the wiring diagrams that I could find for the boat I don't see any issues. My write up on this will be a very long and very detailed one. This is mod number 2 on my list, the weather does not look great, and Mother's Day is this weekend so it may be 7-10 days before I have this installed and working. I have many mods planned and I probally owe the UPS guy a beer by now. Can't wait to pick the boat from the dealer tomorrow. Stayed tuned for this and my first mod that I am keeping under my hat for now.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Cool mod, but am I the only one who actually likes turning the keys to start the engines?? Haha. Never had a twin engine boat so I get a kick out of starting the boat every time I turn each key one after the other.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If this works, you might be a busy guy with requests for more boards to make. I know I'll be one of them requesting one!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
As far back as the intro of the MR-1 into the boats, the ECU has looked at many links to assure all systems go, including ignition loop. I think the push button idea is cool with one caveat, that it is keyless. My main concern here is that when you break the daisy chain power distribution, and add buttons, the ECU isn't going to see what it is expecting, and this may cause you issues. Also, you mention an auto start of both engines from the single button. I don't like that one if I read it correctly. I start only one engine many times, or have one die (sucked up a piece of rope) and only want to restart one. Such as when flushing, warming, or a number of other reasons. The last time I offered caution and had to eat my words :yuck:was when the "monkey leash" was invented and actually worked! So I have the mouthwash out just in case;) Even in an automated society, the KISS principle still keeps unwanted results from cropping up! Congrats on the new boat!

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As far back as the intro of the MR-1 into the boats, the ECU has looked at many links to assure all systems go, including ignition loop. I think the push button idea is cool with one caveat, that it is keyless. My main concern here is that when you break the daisy chain power distribution, and add buttons, the ECU isn't going to see what it is expecting, and this may cause you issues. Also, you mention an auto start of both engines from the single button. I don't like that one if I read it correctly. I start only one engine many times, or have one die (sucked up a piece of rope) and only want to restart one. Such as when flushing, warming, or a number of other reasons. The last time I offered caution and had to eat my words :yuck:was when the "monkey leash" was invented and actually worked! So I have the mouthwash out just in case;) Even in an automated society, the KISS principle still keeps unwanted results from cropping up! Congrats on the new boat!
From what I've read you still have the ability to use both keys as normal. Start one engine over the other. Sounds to me like this would just nice to have option for starting your engines.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Trevor Shipman - luckily these boards are off the shelf and just require on board push button programing. For those wondering how this is going to work. I came up with four diiferent methods of doing this where the ecu won't know the difference and independent operation (starting or stoping just one engine) is possible. The key thing here is (pun intended) is that the keys simply become the turn knobs on a switch that connects three wires togeher to crank the engines and when released keeps two wires connected. Now all we have to do is create another way to complete the same connections using a different switch. The ic time controlled relay boards just allow some automation of the connections based upon an action (button being pressed). I will also detail the orher methods as some may prefer them. The weather may kerp me from getting this done this weekend but I will put up all of the details as soon as I can verify on my boat.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any updates? We're counting on you! Haha
@Trevor Shipman - Life, work, and weather have been holding up progress for me. I decided to pull wire for all my mods at the same time which also meant cutting in the additional speakers. Getting a little something done each day and if I get dry weather this weekend I should be able to complete the mod this weekend.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have tested my push button start/stop mod. It works great and exactly how I have already described!!!

Have to make a couple of changes to the wiring diagram and instructions that I had already written for myself. I also need to clean up the wiring, take photos, take video of it in action, and edit the video. I will post a seperate and complete thread once all of that is done so stayed tuned and by the end of the weekend I should have it posted.

For the pin 87 types out there I also learned a thing or two about how the ignition and ECU work. The stop side of my mod which uses standard 12vdc relays to seperate a single ground trigger into two distinct ground outputs for each engine held latent +50 mvdc charges in their coils with a -12vdc trigger to ground output normally open relay coil setup. This held the connext screen on with the keys off as the I used +12vdc switched from the ignition to power the coil. I changed this to a +12vdc trigger with ground output to rectify that so there would not be a latent charge in the coil with a normally open momentary push button supplying the current for the coil.

This opens up different ways for those who don't want push button start but do want the connext and radio to stay on when they turn the engines off instead of having to turn them back on (this will be a built in benefit of push button start/stop). Really interesting that it only takes millivolts across the red and yellow/red wires to tell the ECU to contine to supply power to the connext screen. Might be an ic controlled relay setup courtesy of the ECU. Anyways thought I would share and ask if anyone else has learned something intresting about the ECU and its I/O.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That was all above my head! The got the "it works" part though!! Can't wait to see the pics and videos!!