• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Quality of ballast bags / pumps

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
since we are now surfing and waiting for the big Shelbyville unveiling I thought I would look at getting a few bags to make a wave the old fashioned way,

Is there a difference in quality between mfg's and what should I be looking for in a pump, just gph or something else?

the bags will probably be left in place but the pump will probably just be a manual and not hard wired or with permanent plumbing,

any advice would be appreciated,

I really like the fly high bags !! But I also have some Ariel bags , they both work , but the fly high are better built , and pumps , just go with gph :)

Ditto.....I have 3 fly high bags.... Very good quality. We actually sit on the 750 pound when it is full. I also have one sumo sac and 2 aerial bags. They all seem to do just fine.

I second sx210owner... You could also look at the ronix 8.0 setup. Check out wake makers.com

spencer at wakemakers actually comp'd me two bags....a 800 lb sumo sac and 450 sumo sac to play around with to get a good wake. he also sent me a the base sumo pump at no charge.....all of the equipment seems to be good quality.

I run a variety of Fat sacs(3,180# total). Use three Jabsco Ballast puppy's to feed them. I use two diverter valves to fill topside/rear deck bags. Made a 'Fat Sac Quick connect thru hull fitting" to fill bags on the swim deck and rear of cockpit. Use the second diverter in ski locker to fill extra forward bags. I would get the Johnson pump is starting today. It has a higher gph. Spencer at Wakemakers is a big help. I got the entire system thru him. Highly recommend the SS 90 degree thru hull fittings for below the water line if you are hard plumbing in the pumps

I bought the free motion bags form ebay, like sumo bags, very nice have a built in check valve.
Bought 2) 1200gph pumps and cigarette cord plugs from amazon.
Bought the hose and fittings I needed form wakemakers. (use the jetboaters discount code)
No complaints. Price was good.

mix and matched to do what I needed

Wow JCampbell you must really love wake surfing. That sounds like a lot of equipment to deal with in order to get the wake right. I assume it doesn't put to much extra strain on the engines since a lot of people do it. Am I wrong?

I would second that SS90 through hull. I dont have it but there was not much room in there to make the 90. Cam.

I have Straight Line Sumo sacs and they seem to be very good quality. I definitely prefer their valve setup to that of my buddy's Fly Highs, in that they have a built in check valve to keep water from spilling out when you take off the cap or the pump. They also have a good "twist lock" for attaching the pump/hose so you don't really have to hold on to it to keep it from coming loose.

I bought the two 750 gallon bags + the 1200gph Tsunami pump with the more rigid hose package from wakemakers and am very impressed with the quality of the bags, pump, and fittings.

I've been a little disappointed with the big bags leaking around the fittings.

The brand " Big Bag, Straightline" which is who also makes Sumo Sac

Ah HA!. . . . . If you couldn't tell I don't have any ballast (besides my brother in law) yet. Doing my research.

:D

Wow JCampbell you must really love wake surfing. That sounds like a lot of equipment to deal with in order to get the wake right. I assume it doesn't put to much extra strain on the engines since a lot of people do it. Am I wrong?
I run a higher RPM around 8K. It eats gas but is worth it

Back