• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about servicing

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I recently moved and now my closest Yamaha dealer is over two hours away so taking my boat for service is a haul. That said, I had my boat serviced at the beginning of the season last year and only put about 10 hours on it since. Any thoughts on skipping the spring service and having it done after boating season? I am considering tackling the service myself but considering how little the boat was used last year am I risking damage not doing it now?

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just my opinion, but if you only used it about 10 hours last season, I wouldn't be to worried about it.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I suppose it depends on how she reacts when you turn her on for the new year. If they fogged the crap out of her, you might be swapping plugs.

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I suppose it depends on how she reacts when you turn her on for the new year. If they fogged the crap out of her, you might be swapping plugs.
I did not have it serviced at the end of the year so no fogging. I store it in a climate controlled garage and start it up every few weeks just as a precaution.

sysinu

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
did you stabilize your fuel tank and run some of it through the engine? If not you might want to drive down a bumpy road with her on a trailer before you turn the ignition for too long :)

H2OBoy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
did you stabilize your fuel tank and run some of it through the engine? If not you might want to drive down a bumpy road with her on a trailer before you turn the ignition for too long :)
I did. I put marine Stabil in the gas tank at the end of the season and topped off the tank.

jlcj7

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
if you stored it in a climate controlled area, i would not feel the need to do anything for this season...

Englewoodcowboy

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I would run it as is. Spend a little money buying a good oil extractor and do the service yourself at the end of the season, fog it etc and save on changing plugs for after you pull it out of storage and get it running. That is what I do. Now I will change the oil if I get enough hours on it during the regular season and still change it before I store it so it is ready to go the next time. In the long run you will save lots of money doing it yourself, you will also be better acquainted with you boat should a problem arise etc.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Personally, I would change the oil. The first 10 hours can generate significant break-in deposits. JMHO. :cool:

Unless I misunderstood and you have significant hours on the engine and it's well past break-in?