• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question about sound insulating the fuel tank access cover

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those that have done it? Did you insulate the entire cover or just inside the fuel tank cutout area? I am thinking about removing the rubber strip around the outside and insulating the entire cover. This may make it stick up a little but I believe it will help a lot with noise.

image.jpg

Here is my fuel tank label picture.

image.jpg

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce I haven't insulated my gas tank lid yet so no help there. But I do have a question, are you planning to or have others done it, fill the cable chase between the gas tank compartment and the helm (where the steering & throttle cables pass)?

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I put dynamat on the inside of my cover, the silver foil covered auto stuff. Had some extra laying around. I did the entire cover and did not remove the strip but It does not sitckup more than stock. It does actually seem to make a difference. Cam.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought some pipe insulation to line the engine hatch which I will be installing this weekend. I am going to try to remember to take iPhone readings, but knowing me, will probably forget.

I also ordered a batch of this stuff today that I plan to put on the fuel tank access cover next weekend.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/sp/kno-knoise-kolossus-edition-2-door-kit-14sq-ft/

It should be enough to do the fuel tank.

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bought some pipe insulation to line the engine hatch which I will be installing this weekend. I am going to try to remember to take iPhone readings, but knowing me, will probably forget.

I also ordered a batch of this stuff today that I plan to put on the fuel tank access cover next weekend.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/sp/kno-knoise-kolossus-edition-2-door-kit-14sq-ft/

It should be enough to do the fuel tank.
Please let me know what you think! I'd be interested in the findings! Oh and pics too!

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I do think by replacing that outside rubber strip with a more form fitting bulb type strip, that would definitely help I think. I have not found that yet, but plan to do that as well.

waterboy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I insulated the tank cover with the Dynamat and Dynaliner type material. I also replaced the bulb strip around the engine cover. I don't have any data (and yes I'm an engineer by training) but it made a HUGE difference in sound reduction while at speed. Probably not as quiet as the 2015's but good enough to have a discussion in the cockpit while at speed.

@Bruce I went to the edge of the current seal but did not replace it. I like that idea as I still get some water leaks into the gas tank area, but not too much.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Well, I guess for the time and energy and $16 this was worth the 1 decibel reduction I received. Granted this reading was from a free iPhone app and the boat was slightly on my lift IN NUETRAL...but whatever, it's done. I hope to get better results with the good sound damper I bought for the gas tank hatch.

image.jpg

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put Stinger Roadkill similar to dynamat on my hatch. It definatly helped, especially with the resonance.
image.jpg image.jpg

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I put soundown on the engine hatch and sidewalls. I also put pipe insulation as a seal for the engine compartment. The boat is quieter. Mostly the high pitch sound is less and the resination is much less. It's not as quiet as I would like but it is quieter.

Here is a link to last years sound dampening discussion.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-is-the-best-sound-deadening-product.2088/

Last edited:

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I did my entire cover with a double layer. @waterboy helped considerably. I then filled the gaps around the tank with some closed cell ESD foam i had to minimize the resonace there

Its documented here somewhere. Cost about $100

I havent really noticed the difference i was after . I tried the pipe insulation around the lip as well and that just made the lid a little harder to close