• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Question - Re: Pulling boat on trailer long distant

Miami_Oh_Yeah!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pulling my trailer about 650 miles one-way:

Cover on or off?
Wake Tower up or down?

Thanks

No help on your questions, but make sure there is enough grease in the wheel bearings.

Jim

I have done multiple trips with the cover on. Leave the tower up but take the tower cover/bimini off.

I have done multiple trips with the cover on. Leave the tower up but take the tower cover/bimini off.

I'm a little worried on a long trip with cover as it is not too tight and flaps a bit. Is there any disadvantages to keeping it off? Should I put tower speaker covers on? I will be pulling behind a motorhome.

You can tow with the cover on or off. If it is off, make sure everything that can fly out is secured in a storage compartment. Boat will most like be filled with dead bugs and crap.

You will get people tell you different things. Some people use the factory cover. Some use the mooring cover. Some use nothing at all. Some use the poles under the cover, some don't. Some put beach balls up front. Some use a tube. Some use the Hangtyte system, etc etc.....

I have towed my boat various distances up to 700 miles from home. Most of the time I use the mooring cover and keep it snugged pretty tight. I just got rid of the poles and use the Hangtyte system. I put my 3 person tube up in the bow while towing it to not stress the cover too much. Just did a 150 mile round trip with no issues.

I have socks for my tower speakers and I have trailered with them on, no issue. Biggest thing with keeping everything off is you get a lot of dead bugs on the windshield and paint and speakers. You also have to consider rain and weather if you keep the cover off.

All of that said, for that long haul I bought extra bearings and a grease gun to take with my. I took a jack, blocks of wood and extra tools just in case. I'd also recommend looking at Boat US and their trailer coverage. Pretty cheap backup plan if you run into issues.

Back