• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

questions from a potential jet boat owner

popcorn_shrimp

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I'm thinking about getting a boat at the end of this season or start of next. I've scoured the internet trying to find answers to my questions about jet boats and I'm looking to clear the air on some things because it seems like there is some kind of rivalry between jet boat and prop boat owners.

BACKGROUND: I grew up with 20'+ i/o bow riders. i have known nothing different other than the occasional fish and ski (more fish than ski). I have a couple young kids. I am going to store the boat in my 22' long garage. That is part of the allure of a jet boat is that it seems that models are generally shorter.

I am looking at jet boats or inboards to either have no prop or have it out of the way. It would be nice to be able to wake board or surf but I'll probably just be doing cruising, tubing, and some skiing.

Now for my questions....

LOCATION: I will be primarily be boating on a river (technically its a lake with the locks) but it's definitely narrower than the nearby lakes. The River has barge traffic, and every now and then it will be debri from heavy rains. I read that jet boats typically have flatter hulls providing a rougher ride, bouncing and going airborne too easy. How true is this? Will a smaller jet boat get thrown around with typical wakes from other boats and barges?

Do you have to worry about debris in the water with a jet boat? Usually the debris is just a lot of broken sticks, kind of like mulch or wood chips floating around.

THE BOAT:
So i've also been told not to get a boat with low sides if you have little kids with you. This would rule out jet boats and inboards (both types I'm looking at). Is it really that big of an issue? Kids get thrown out easy or fall over that often?

I'm looking at only used boats. I'm guessing that the less I spend on one the more I'll probably have to put into it. Is it easy to find parts for sea doo? I saw they discontinued their boats back in 2012 or 2013. I don't mind working on it, but I also know that it's easy to spend the whole season trying to fix your boat. How old, is too old for a jet boat?

Lots of good questions. And it's obvious you have gotten answers based on misconceptions based on old model boats.

Many manufacturers have boats with flat bottoms for particular purposes. They may be river boats, duck boats, flats boats etc. Older jet boats were designed for straightline speed and not wave handling. And yes, they had low sides that you could fall out. A current boat is nothing like this, in fact, you would have a hard time leaning over the bow or side of a current boat.

If you look at any modern jetboat from most manufacturers, that these boats are based on hull designs similar to any I/O. In fact the front hull is designed for the wave action of most lakes and rivers in the US. The difference comes in the rear either due to the low profile engines in a SeaDoo or Yamaha, or the V-drive in a Wake/surf boat. Or for the purpose they were built for, like displacing water and creating a surf wake.

So in your shopping, buy the hull that is designed for the type of water you are going to use it for. Then go read the Bimini fling thread and realize how far someone can push one of these boats in an environment they are truly not intended for. Obviously they can do it, but there are more purpose built boats for offshore exploring.

As far as trash in the river, yes it will not like woodchips and small sticks. Again, the Yamaha with cleanout ports above deck will help get them out, but they won't stop them from going in. It is what it is.

I hope this helps. Good luck in your search.

If it really has a lot of debri a lot of the time I mite shy away from a jet or at least the single engine ones. You dont want stranded in flowing water. At if you go jet it would have to be a yamaha with the clean out ports.

I think the only issue you face is the debris. Guys are taking these boats to bimini... so I don't think wake from a barge is going to be a big deal. And the only way a kid is going off is if he climbs over a seat and jumps lol.

How much debris are we talking?

We get quite a bit of similar type debris in the upper Potomac River in DC, especially in the Spring and after heavy rains. I have found that it is much more of a problem at idle and slow speeds than when you are up on plane. I tend to suck up debris when leaving my slip much more often than I ever do when I am actually out on the water. Typically the debris on the Potomac tends to come down river in a specific trail (which I assume is driven by the water flow and current). I have found that if you avoid driving directly in the trail up or down the river and instead staying to left or right of it only crossing over when necessary really helps to avoid sucking up debris. Additionally, when I do suck up something I have always been able to get it out on the water through the clean out ports and usually within a few minutes (having a few handy tools on board will help in this regard). I would not recommend a Sea Doo or other boat that does not have clean out ports if you are in an area of high debris like I am. (my 2 cents)

Here is an idea of the debris in our marina after 5 straight days of rain. Not shown, the full sized logs right behind my Air Dock.

IMG_6053.JPG

To add to others on kids on the boat. I have a 2.5 and 5.5 year old and have never worried about them falling out of the boat, unless they are dangling their feet off the swim deck. My rule is that everyone sits when the boat is moving. The newer Yamaha's and other brands have a much higher freeboard than the older models (2005/2006 and older).

Last edited:
I spent all day out at Lake Wylie past weekend and noticed a lot of debri of branches, wood chips, under water plants, etc. Dirty lake in my opinion but it's the closest for a day trip. And gas is cheaper in South Carolina. I had no problems whatsoever with the pumps. Again, I went with a Yamaha due to the clean out ports. I had to use it when I sucked up my own rope in my last outing. My nephew who has a SeaDoo had to dive under with a knife to cut a rope loose. I also get a sense that Yamaha is more reliable (not trying to start a war, just my observation).

As far as kids and pets getting thrown off the boat - All 3 of my daughters and 1 maltese like to sit in the bow area because it's the best view. It was a busy Memorial Day weekend out at the lake. We had no issues with throwing anyone off the boat. Show them where the handles are if they need it. I try not to make any sudden crazy turns or moves. As long as you are not trying to throw them off, it is not likely.

If you are trying to keep the boat in your garage, you are probably stuck with a 19 footer. I was also looking for a used boat but couldn't find anything descent used at the the time so ended up with buying new. I found a great end of season special and went for it. Safety was my deciding factor for a jet boat. The kids can jump and swim all around the boat with me worrying about it. It definitely helped as we tried wakeboarding for the first time last weekend.

Good luck

close to your situation. But after my research, if we go jet boat, as I read in a previous post, I would go 21 ft plus twin engine jet yamaha only for the cleanout. and second engine redundancy. My area of the river is notorious for junk floating in it. (including corpses)

as far as freeboard(side height) complete non issue for yamaha boats.

your space dilemma is EXACTLY like mine. going any bigger than our 18' in IO boats would be iffy at 22' for our garage. And I wont stow a boat outside. EVER. JB maximizes hull space. 21' is actually 21'. 212 measures as 21'3" with swing trailer.

Originally we were hot on the trails of 212ss, but staying with the I/O for now, cost vs time.... kids sports..etc.

I'm thinking about getting a boat at the end of this season or start of next. I've scoured the internet trying to find answers to my questions about jet boats and I'm looking to clear the air on some things because it seems like there is some kind of rivalry between jet boat and prop boat owners.

BACKGROUND: I grew up with 20'+ i/o bow riders. i have known nothing different other than the occasional fish and ski (more fish than ski). I have a couple young kids. I am going to store the boat in my 22' long garage. That is part of the allure of a jet boat is that it seems that models are generally shorter.

I am looking at jet boats or inboards to either have no prop or have it out of the way. It would be nice to be able to wake board or surf but I'll probably just be doing cruising, tubing, and some skiing.

Now for my questions....

LOCATION: I will be primarily be boating on a river (technically its a lake with the locks) but it's definitely narrower than the nearby lakes. The River has barge traffic, and every now and then it will be debri from heavy rains. I read that jet boats typically have flatter hulls providing a rougher ride, bouncing and going airborne too easy. How true is this? Will a smaller jet boat get thrown around with typical wakes from other boats and barges?

Do you have to worry about debris in the water with a jet boat? Usually the debris is just a lot of broken sticks, kind of like mulch or wood chips floating around.

THE BOAT:
So i've also been told not to get a boat with low sides if you have little kids with you. This would rule out jet boats and inboards (both types I'm looking at). Is it really that big of an issue? Kids get thrown out easy or fall over that often?

I'm looking at only used boats. I'm guessing that the less I spend on one the more I'll probably have to put into it. Is it easy to find parts for sea doo? I saw they discontinued their boats back in 2012 or 2013. I don't mind working on it, but I also know that it's easy to spend the whole season trying to fix your boat. How old, is too old for a jet boat?

If you could add where or the general area that you will boating. There will probably be someone that boats in that area and might be able to share their experience.

Yamaha's with clean out ports are your likely best solution. if you do suck up something you can usually fish it out of there in a few moments. I've been out in Lake Tahoe lots of times with white caps all around and never felt unsafe...as both Yamaha's have handled that big water well.

We obviously like our jet boats here, but the truth is get a wood chip wedged in the pump by the impeller and you're probably done for the day.
In those conditions I'd get an outboard I could tilt up and clear the prop. Just make sure the engine is always OFF when you're stopped and anyone is in the water.

I just came into the jet boat world after having i/o boats for the past 15 years and growing up only having outboards. To answer a couple of your questions: I just came out of a Monterey 194FS that was 21'10" with the platform and now have a 212X. This boat handles the large wakeboard boats' wakes much better than my last boat so I disagree with the riding rough part. This boat also has a higher gunwale than my last boat as well and when you are inside it, you truly feel inside it and completely secure. As for debris, I boat on a very clean lake 90% of the time so that was not a factor for me.

I love going from zero to WOT and doing figure-eights in the water. If kids get thrown anywhere it's on the floor, not overboard regardless where they sit.

How old is too old? I had an 07 SX210 for three seasons and never had to replace a thing. That's the beauty of jet boats--very low maintenance costs beyond annual oil and plug changes. Most people spend their money on mods.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies! It's been a week.

I'm in alabama and will be going to the tennessee river, more specifically wheeler lake; though i may end up going to guntersville lake more.

@fraserjr thanks for the pic. I don't think the marina gets as bad as that after heavy rains and you see less in the river. usually its pretty clear. Debris was just on my mind, because we were out on my dad's boat a couple weeks earlier after it had rained and there were debris in the water.

The garage requirement is pretty high on the list right now because i don't really want to pay to store it right now and HOA won't allow anything trailers or boats outside.

I've been looking on craigslist under 15-20k and don't see a lot of yamahas. mostly it's 95-2009 sea doo boats with a couple 2000-2006 yamaha's. I've noticed these have shorter freeboards than the newer yamaha's.

If looking that far back, two cycle jet boats are a lot of fun, but not as reliable as 4 strokes. It's a different level of reliability in my experience.

WOW! Thanks for all the replies! It's been a week.

I'm in alabama and will be going to the tennessee river, more specifically wheeler lake; though i may end up going to guntersville lake more.

@fraserjr thanks for the pic. I don't think the marina gets as bad as that after heavy rains and you see less in the river. usually its pretty clear. Debris was just on my mind, because we were out on my dad's boat a couple weeks earlier after it had rained and there were debris in the water.

The garage requirement is pretty high on the list right now because i don't really want to pay to store it right now and HOA won't allow anything trailers or boats outside.

I've been looking on craigslist under 15-20k and don't see a lot of yamahas. mostly it's 95-2009 sea doo boats with a couple 2000-2006 yamaha's. I've noticed these have shorter freeboards than the newer yamaha's.

By the way you described your local river, it kind of sounded like you might be talking about Wheeler Lake, but you don't have a location in your profile so I wasn't sure.

I am from Huntsville and boat regularly on Wheeler. We usually put in at Ingalls Harbor in Decatur or on Second Creek in Rogersville. I haven't quite had my 242X for a year yet, but the debris after the rain we have here isn't bad, it's the whole trees floating down river you've got to watch out for. We do tend to stay off the main channel for a few days after heavy rains because of the heavy flowing current more than the debris.

There is also a very nice sized section of river across the river from Brown's Ferry that is really calm and doesn't get much debris or trash. And its about 10ft deep year round.

Okay. Yeah, I grew up always going to ditto landing and always felt its narrower than around guntersville or decatur. That gives me something to think about.

To add to others on kids on the boat. I have a 2.5 and 5.5 year old and have never worried about them falling out of the boat, unless they are dangling their feet off the swim deck. My rule is that everyone sits when the boat is moving. The newer Yamaha's and other brands have a much higher freeboard than the older models (2005/2006 and older).
+1 I’ve got an older Yamaha and often will be cruising along, look up and realize the dog or one of the kids is missing and has fallen overboard again.

upload_2018-6-7_20-20-25.gif

I boat in the Ohio River a lot during the year. We've learned to deal with the debris as best I can. We get a lot of trash from the spring rains. Lots of small sticks, wood chips, small logs, all kinds of crap that washes off the banks of the local tributaries. Every single time I've been on the water in the Ohio I've had to stop and clean out the pump. usually it's a small wood chip the size of my thumb or less. I can idle around just fine, but it looses all thrust over about 3k rpm. It always happens after we've been docked for over an hour and debris can hang out around the pump.

Being in the middle of the river with the pump not providing thrust was a little unnerving the first time it happened. HOWEVER, once I realized I can clean it out within minutes, and it would take much longer than that to float into the nearest anything I calmed down. I don't waste time cleaning it out once clogged, but I don't rush myself either. If I can still have a little idle thrust, I'll get away from any nearby obstacle, shut the motor down, clear the debris and go about my way. Worst case I figure I can toss the anchor out and take as much time as I need to clearing the issue.

I have a 2mo old and a 6yr old. I have ZERO concerns with either of their safety riding in the boat. The freeboard is plenty deep enough to keep everyone safe. Also, I too came from a 19ft I/O bowrider. The Yamaha rides 100 times "softer" than our old Rinker did. Easily handling the local lake waves better at higher speeds than the old boat. I have zero problems recommended a jet to anyone looking.

We get quite a bit of similar type debris in the upper Potomac River in DC, especially in the Spring and after heavy rains. I have found that it is much more of a problem at idle and slow speeds than when you are up on plane. I tend to suck up debris when leaving my slip much more often than I ever do when I am actually out on the water. Typically the debris on the Potomac tends to come down river in a specific trail (which I assume is driven by the water flow and current). I have found that if you avoid driving directly in the trail up or down the river and instead staying to left or right of it only crossing over when necessary really helps to avoid sucking up debris. Additionally, when I do suck up something I have always been able to get it out on the water through the clean out ports and usually within a few minutes (having a few handy tools on board will help in this regard). I would not recommend a Sea Doo or other boat that does not have clean out ports if you are in an area of high debris like I am. (my 2 cents)

Here is an idea of the debris in our marina after 5 straight days of rain. Not shown, the full sized logs right behind my Air Dock.

View attachment 75567

Where on the Potomac do you take ur kids swimming and or wakeboarding. Thanks

Back