• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

R.I.P. bimini

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just the cover.... not the destination.
(whew)

Last weekend we took a trip over to Panama City Beach,FL. As I always do I had the mooring cover on and the bimini wrapped up into its cover; zippered shut and secured to the tower.

Other than normal use this is how its been stored since I bought the boat new in March 2015. Due to UV and general wear and tear I was planning on replacing the bimini cloth over the winter months. I figured 3 seasons of use was a good life.

Well...... apparently it had different plans. About 2 miles before our exit off of the highway my wife looks at me and asks me "what's that noise?" - Dang kid needs to quit kicking with every funny YouTube video.
(I wish)

The bimini cover had torn, letting the bimini top just flap in the 70mph+ winds. The front hard bar ripped loose, tearing a hole into my mooring cover and gouging the fiberglass on my swim deck. (moment of silence please)

$543.14 later ... plus an additional $50 for shipping, and I have one on the way.
From now on I will keep it under the mooring cover any time it's not in use. HOPEFULLY... this one will last.

Any other tips to keep the top side in a little better shape due to the sun damage? How about the tower sounds?

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use 6 pieces of velcro one wrap in various spots across the bimini cover. One on the end, one between the support bar and the snap strap that came on the boot, then another one before the middle support, then another, then another, then the snap strap, then another... you get the idea. It secures it very well and I don't think there is much that could happen to make it come loose. They are very strong.

I bought a whole roll of it to have extra on hand. I've found tons of uses for it. They make various widths, but I have the 1.5".
https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-ONE-WRAP-Double-Sided-Multi-Purpose/dp/B00JWU77N2/ref=pd_sim_468_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00JWU77N2&pd_rd_r=X84J1JDVNHD7C0VFK645&pd_rd_w=1b0fJ&pd_rd_wg=2zftX&psc=1&refRID=X84J1JDVNHD7C0VFK645

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Make sure the boot/cover is included with the purchase of your new Bimini top material. If it is not you can find a generic one on line for $30 to $80.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Been there too my man https://jetboaters.net/threads/anyone-know-of-a-cheaper-place-to-buy-a-bimini-cover-boot.13276/. The cover/boot is crap and mine has been deteriorating since day one and my boat is a year newer. The dealer is of no help to me even though I think it's warranty if it can't last a season. I currently use zip ties but I like @Bill D idea of using velcro.

My Bimini canvas top is also beginning to show signs of wear from the excessive force the AR 19' tops have with the adjuster pole the wrong length. Stitching coming apart at some of the more stressful seams. Between my paint chipping off the tower base, Bimini canvas ripping apart from faulty design and the cheap boot I really just want a complete new tower and all but i stopped holding my breath long ago.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length