• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rattle Trap FatMat Sound Deadener

• Thread starter Thread starter No_Longer_Active_User
  • Start date Start date
N

No_Longer_Active_User

I just purchased a 17' 2001 sugar sand tango about 3 weeks ago... Any insulation that may have been on the engine hatch has been removed and the noise and rattling is rediculous.... So I am adding Rattle Trap FatMat Sound Deadener to the underside of the engine hatch to see if that may help a little bit..... Any comments, or suggestions about FatMat and/or the Jet boat would be much appreciated as this is my first boat (I owned a couple of jet skis but never a boat) so this is definitely a learning curb for me! :)

Glad to have you on board, a sugar sands and a female, we hit twice with you joining!

Is it rattling from the engine or from the engine cover/hatch? if it's the hatch you may only need some type of rubber seal to form a good solid closure instead of sound insulation.

I can't add much about the sound deadener but be sure to introduce yourself in the Sugar Sands forum also, we have at least one current and one former sugar sands owner but we love to hear your experience after you get it on the water.

It is an interesting product with lots of amazing claims. I will be excited to hear how it works for you. Anything is way better than the current lack of sound insulation.

Welcome to the site! I think it's awesome to get some other jet boats on here!

You may want to search the site for "sound deadening" or "sound proofing". A lot of people have added different sound barrier materials and tried a lot of different techniques. I've never heard of the FatMat but you may be able to pick up some installation ideas or lessons learned for others that have installed similar products.

FatMat is similar to a lot of other products out there (tar like sheets with foil on one side and glue on the other) and like those products it can get expensive quick. I agree with Scottintexas in that you may be able to eliminate a lot of the rattle by just resealing the edges of the engine compartment hatch. I went all the way around the hatch on my 242 with three pieces of pipe insulation that I got at home depot for around $6 each, installation is measured in single digit minutes not hours.

Thanks for all the feedback.... And yes, any form of insulation to muffle this very LOUD Mercury 175 motor will be a blessing..... Quite honestly I don't know why it comes with a radio/CD player because you can't hear a thing over the engine! LOL

I think I saw a thread on here where @BigN8 was talking about using the fatmat, maybe he can chime in and give some review on how it had worked out...

Back