• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rear hatch concern

NHRexy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hey guys,
New to the forum, new to jet boats. I just picked up a 2016 165.
Fixing up a few things, I've found a wealth of info on here so thank you. One thing I haven't seen as a problem (hopefully because it isn't) but can't help but worry about is that rear Engine Hatch opening at speed especially when trailering... Has anyone had that be an issue? Should I strap it down in tow? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but figured if anyone had any in sight it would be here.
I know it was/is an issue on the older exciters and speedsters with the older rubber and plastic latches, but I wanted to address a possible issue now before it happens and it gets ripped off the boat. Is that latch pretty fool proof? Does it need to be checked for adjustment or replaced periodically? I'm always over cautious and hopefully I'm being so here, so thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Yep. I know that problem well. Simple to solve but you do need to stay on top of it.

Two things:

You need to make sure that pin is tight. I recommend adding a lock washer. Make sure it's very snug and check it periodically. Also make sure the latching mechanism on the hatch itself is also snug and not shifting around.

Secondly and most important, make sure your pin is oriented correctly as the picture shows. The round sides must be pointing at the stern/bow. It's what prevents the latching from unlatching when the fiberglass flexes with roads and waves.

If you've done both of these things, it should hold even while trailering. But you can test it. If you hit the fiberglass just above the middle seat and use your palm to "punch it" hard towards the stern, it will cause the hatch to release IF these things aren't done. Once fixed, you can try again and it shouldn't pop open.

If you're really worried for longer trailering, you can also just pop off the two pneumatic springs. Takes 1 min. Make sure to hold the hatch as you do it. Then re-pop them on at the other end. Just requires a flat tip screwdriver to release the cap on each before pulling it off.

1601942749105.png

Steel Kruzn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hello Guys, Since we are on the subject of the rear hatch..... I purchased my 165 HO about a month ago and it is missing one of the gas struts for the rear hatch. The one that is still on the boat does not have any numbers or markings on it.
Does anyone have information they could share on these gas struts and which ones would be a good replacement? Thanks in advance.

Steel Kruzn

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Thank you very much!

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hey guys,
New to the forum, new to jet boats. I just picked up a 2016 165.
Fixing up a few things, I've found a wealth of info on here so thank you. One thing I haven't seen as a problem (hopefully because it isn't) but can't help but worry about is that rear Engine Hatch opening at speed especially when trailering... Has anyone had that be an issue? Should I strap it down in tow? Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but figured if anyone had any in sight it would be here.
I know it was/is an issue on the older exciters and speedsters with the older rubber and plastic latches, but I wanted to address a possible issue now before it happens and it gets ripped off the boat. Is that latch pretty fool proof? Does it need to be checked for adjustment or replaced periodically? I'm always over cautious and hopefully I'm being so here, so thank you in advance!
yah it happens. i went and bought extra bolt and nuts keep on hand. things start rattling lose over time with a boat due to vibration, etc. so you gotta bring up the bolt it took me and a extra pair of hands to do it. keep extras in your on board tool kit

Mxgirl1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
yah it happens. i went and bought extra bolt and nuts keep on hand. things start rattling lose over time with a boat due to vibration, etc. so you gotta bring up the bolt it took me and a extra pair of hands to do it. keep extras in your on board tool kit
you should always go over the boat for loose seat bolts etc. make sure things are snug.