• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rebuilding AR210 2007 port engine - vx 110 - help with bearings

andyak1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi Guys, I have rebuilt a couple MR1s in the past (the FX140) versions for myAR230.

This AR210 has the VX 110 hp versions - a little smaller and easier LOL

This time I can't go by the Color codes to determine Crank bearings because I opted to buy just the Crankcase casting from SBT.

They provide no color coding. So.... bought the micrometer and bore dial gauge both to .0001" accuracy.

Looking up the specs in service manual it lists Oil bearing clearance as .0002- .0011" - they mention using plastigage in the manual but that stuff doesn't even go down that small -how would you use it!?

Rule of thumb is .001" times the crank journal width (mine are 1.338") so that would be .001338 which is still over the max yamaha clearance.

I am getting from .0033 to .0018 clearances on the SBT journals with different bearing colors torqued to spec.

To compare, I whipped out the yamaha oem crankcase and put in the original bearings and measured torqued to spec and got clearances
from .0013, .0014, .0014 ,.0015 and one at .0010 These were all within a few ten thousandths of the max yamaha spec .0011

it seems my engine was running clearances around the rule of thumb - over and above the service manual printed range.

Any first hand experience with these engines and good clearance numbers to use?

TIA
Andy