• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

rebuilding the jet access ports

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
can you guys tell me if the access ports at the rear of the boat are really that necessary or helpful? Just picked up a an AR230 and the previous owner tells me he never takes them off since they are so hard to get off and on. We don't have much in the way of weeds or debris out here in the bay, but a rope could def be an issue. I am not even sure of what the access ports are called to look up the replacement parts.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Rebuild the plugs. Inexpensive and simple. They really should not be difficult to put in our take out if they are properly used. Don't leave them in when boat not in use.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not fixing the clean out plugs would be like throwing your cars jack and spare tire away. Sure, you can call a tow boat to take you back to the dock but wouldn't you like to quickly cure an issue yourself and carry on with a nice day on the water?

Eric Popper

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I bought my Ar230HO 4 years ago the plugs were nearly cemented in from lack of care. After using all of the various tricks, including leverage and hammers, ice water ended up doing the trick.

Since then, I keep the tubes clean and remove the plugs at the end of each trip. They sit just fine on their sides under the hatch. Putting them back in is on my checklist for taking the boat out...

I would say at least once a weekend, when out on the Chain of Lakes, I need to remove some debris from one of the impeller tubes. If my plugs were stuck, I wouldn't be able to continue many times...

Eric

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Looks like you have all the reasons listed. Having clean out plugs is what sets a Yamaha apart from all the other players in the jet boat market. While they are not perfect, if you take care of them, they will work to save your day on the water. With very little effort, they are easily maintained to give you that freedom. Lots of tricks to free them, once out, repair and keep them in good working order!

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
thanks so much for all the good advice. the previous owner did not service this part of the boat at all, so he told me just to leave them alone. appreciate the help.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Weebs74 , based on this and the HU, I am guessing you may find a few more issues as you get it up and running. Plenty of guys have bought boats in need of TLC and got them going great again. There isn't an upgrade or repair that the membership hasn't dealt with, so you will find plenty of help! While your working on those clean out plugs, you may find that the clean out tray is in a need of some of that TLC as well. That tray is removable by removing the screws and pulling the whole tray up. Be careful of the clean out tray kill switches...the leads in the back of the tray will give you grief if your not careful with them, and if they aren't satisfied, they will prevent the engines from running by preventing the starter from turning and blocking the ignition signal. I get in and out below that clean out tray to make changes or check things out so often, I removed the silicone sealer from around the edge and cleaned it all up, then installed a waterproof gasket so I could remove the 12 or so screws and just pop it off with no other effort.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Weebs74 , based on this and the HU, I am guessing you may find a few more issues as you get it up and running. Plenty of guys have bought boats in need of TLC and got them going great again. There isn't an upgrade or repair that the membership hasn't dealt with, so you will find plenty of help! While your working on those clean out plugs, you may find that the clean out tray is in a need of some of that TLC as well. That tray is removable by removing the screws and pulling the whole tray up. Be careful of the clean out tray kill switches...the leads in the back of the tray will give you grief if your not careful with them, and if they aren't satisfied, they will prevent the engines from running by preventing the starter from turning and blocking the ignition signal. I get in and out below that clean out tray to make changes or check things out so often, I removed the silicone sealer from around the edge and cleaned it all up, then installed a waterproof gasket so I could remove the 12 or so screws and just pop it off with no other effort.
Waterproof gasket? I missed this one. That would eliminate the headache of removing the cleanout tray. What did you use for the gasket?

Last edited by a moderator:

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I used a waterproof vinyl/rubber gasket. It was about 7/8" wide, and if I remember, it was about 1/2" thick. I shopped a bit to find the right one and ended up taking at least one back. It is going to be in the water pretty much when the boat is in use, so anything that is going to absorb water isn't a good idea. The one I found was a closed cell foam but denser and less flimsy than most of those foam weatherstrippings at either Home Depot or Lowe's. It as an adhesive edge, and you can peel that and stick it to either side. I chose to stick it under the clean out tray vs on the lip the tray rests in. I did this so it would drain a little if needed and not compromise the adhesive as bad. It is one of the better mods, due to how often we are all trying to get under the clean out tray.

Addicted

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Waterproof gasket? I missed this one. That would eliminate the headache of removing the cleanout tray. What did you use for the gasket?
I think this is a great mod! I am disappointed with myself that I did not think of it the last time I spent a half hour scraping old silicone from that area. Thanks for sharing.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I looked through my pics...I could have sworn I snapped some of the gasket going in. Maybe on my phone? I will look but that will take a day or more, too many pics and not filed well on the phone! I could swear I shot a pic of the product bag too. Maybe I will find it. I may have even posted it here, need to check that too! Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Weebs74

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ordered the clean out plug kits. I will get that situation fixed in a jiffy. Thanks for the tip as well with the clean out tray.