• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Registering my boat in TX

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Geez what an ordeal!

First I went to the office to register my truck, boat and travel trailer, and also to get my TX driver's license. Well the drivers license place is 10 miles down the interstate:-/
Truck was pretty easy, camper took a minute but got done, boat on the other hand is ridiculous. I fought with them forever about the trailer title, I don't have a title for the trailer, guessing FL doesn't do that? So they finally acted like I just bought the trailer and got it registered.
The boat title wasn't right for them (still don't understand why) so waited several weeks to get that worked out, went in to get it done NOW they tell me they need a pencil sketching of the Hull ID, I was like "is that what I'm imagining? Like I used to do in Kindergarten with coins and leafs?" Yep, I had to do that. My old registration, insurance papers and bill of sale wasn't good enough to prove HID. sWent back to finish it up and now they say they need the engine serial numbers, I explained to them it wasn't an outboard....but apparently they want the serial numbers no matter what kind of engine it has....

Maybe one of these days I'll get it registered.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome to Texas huh!! I don't know what it is with this state and boat trailers. I bought a Hobie Cat sailboat from a guy off of Craigslist I think about 10 years ago without a title. The trailer wasn't titled or registered. All I needed to do is get a current license plate so I wouldn't get stopped by a 5-0. It was an ordeal, but not as bad as yours.

BlacklimitedS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oklahoma does not require a title for a trailer but Illinois does (we moved from Illinois). I had the dealer get me the title to the trailer in case we move. It is amazing the hoops you jump through when moving. It feels lime they are difficult to justify their jobs!

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oklahoma does not require a title for a trailer but Illinois does (we moved from Illinois). I had the dealer get me the title to the trailer in case we move. It is amazing the hoops you jump through when moving. It feels lime they are difficult to justify their jobs!
When I was registering my camper the lady asked if it was purchased while I was married, I told her it was, then she said she needed to have my wife's pay statement. I asked why because the title is in my name my wife's name isn't on the old registration or anything, she would have never known I was married if I hadn't mentioned it. She said "well I just have to see it to process this" I again asked for an explanation, she said she needed to see what state my wife was a resident of, I asked what difference it made because her name has never been on it and I'm the one registering it (she never asked what state I claimed).

To clarify, I wasn't being difficult, I told her my wife was a resident of FL but I just didn't see why it made a difference, which it apparently didn't make a difference.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now, had you sold your boat in FL and just bought a new one here (with trailer), you would have been all set with no fuss. And with a new boat!

Live and learn...

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Everything is bigger in TEXAS! Even the hassles...

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, but we're nice and friendly. :)