• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Removing and installing Gator Keel Guard

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick recap in case this helps someone down the line.

I noticed my Keel guard was peeling off in one section recently. Through other threads here I learned they are warrantied for life so I thought I would give that a try versus trying to reglue this older, discoloring (yellowing) guard. I sent the picture to Keelguard who responded that day and said this was a competing product and they went so far as to send me a link to the manufacturer. I checked with that manufacturer and they sent me out a replacement the following day and even went so far to send me a black one upon my request.

Taking off the old one was the hardest part. Here are tools that helped
  • Spackling knife (about 1")
  • heat gun
  • WD-40
  • brake cleaner
  • isopropyl alcohol (** important to use this only, not acetone. AKA rubbing alcohol and found at the drug store, not home depot)
1) I heated the keelguard in a 1" section at a time. Caution here and remember that I have an older boat that is white in color and is probably a lot easier to work with since you can't see any scratches or really mark it up....
2) use the spackling knife to lift up the keelguard and glue where possible
3) soaked each section that had leftover glue with WD-40 (* magic *) and brake cleaner ( referenced on Gator's website)
4) more scraping with the spackling knife
5) more WD-40
6) All removed and looks great (Note: I saw some scrapes which leads me to believe this guard went on after the previous owner realized the benefit. Nothing through the keel but it was obvious that they had beached before)
7) I then cleaned the entire hull with Starbrite hull cleaner. That stuff does a great job on the white but it also marks up the trailer if you don't rinse completely. Read the instructions and pay attention to the "warnings"
8) cleaned keel off with isopropyl alcohol
9) scuffed keel section with supplied scotch brite, scuff pad (included in Gator Keel guard kit)
10) cleaned with isopropyl alcohol again

..... install the Gator keel guard

No pictures since there isn't really anything great to see here. Water testing today on the Chesapeake

Just finished removing the other Gator Guard Keelshield, and it was not as difficult as I had imagined. Mine had a tear in it about in the transition area from the bow to underneath the boat. It was like that when I purchased from the previous owner, but we were still able to use it for two years before it started to peel enough that it needed to come off. I pretty much followed the instructions on Gator Guard website.

4E76C525-5BAA-43D8-8B99-4A4F14EC11D1.jpeg

Here is some helpful advice based on my experience:

Buy a pack of plastic razor scrapers
The trailer winch and vice grips hack to pull the old one off is brilliant and works great.
Soak the remains with goo gone/goof off gel and then blast with a pressure washer
-I soaked it overnight and then @30 minutes before
-a 15 degree tip on the pressure washer worked best
-yes it made a mess in the driveway, but way better than scraping.
Pay the $35-40 for the 3M Adhesive Remover #08984 (#08987 in aerosol). The brake cleaner works, but the old adhesive hardens back up too quickly (@10 seconds) as the volatiles evaporate. The 3M stuff gives you a lot more time to scrape and wipe off. Use paper towel and change them often, as the old adhesive can be transferred back and left on the hull when it hardens back up as the remover evaporates.

72381E3E-1D4C-447B-8E9A-50AD5299AB3B.jpeg
4FA78EE2-21CE-43FD-8941-8CC229565B20.jpeg

Try using debond it works great. Used it to remove a members keelguard last fall

I have pulled a couple of them, and what I found to work best was heat.

I also used the winch connected to a vice grip. When working alone, I would heat up a section, go crank, then heat up a section and go crank.

Ideally, it would be nice to have someone on the winch, slowly cranking, while another heated on a creeper underneath. It sure saved the fingertips pulling at really odd angles.

Back