• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacement Stereo for 2016 212X

Mshu714

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions for replacing our factory Clarion stereo. When replacing the stereo does the rear unit also have to be replaced?

Wondering this myself. If you replace unit with another marine Clarion, the rear control is compatible. But I want to see some consoles where people actually replaced their head unit with something else. Whether it be a single Din, double, or whatever. I just wanna see options that people have actually used. The other side is this. I hear that the back of the unit has RCA's plugged in the back, but this unit doesn't use an external amp. Can anyone speak to this as to what they found? I'm Speaking to the current HU being the Clarion CMD6 on our 2016 212x... Sorry if I jacked the thread, not my intent.

I replaced my old clarion head unit from my 2013 8 months ago..........Crutchfield electronics still had my unit and several units used the same wire harness so I did not have to replace the factory wiring. Great thing about Critchfield is they answer the phone and were vary helpful.

I replaced my old clarion head unit from my 2013 8 months ago..........Crutchfield electronics still had my unit and several units used the same wire harness so I did not have to replace the factory wiring. Great thing about Critchfield is they answer the phone and were vary helpful.
Great tip on Crutchfield, they have awesome resources on staff. They are not right 100% of the time, but if they give you bad advice, they will make it right for sure.

For example, I replaced my HU in my 242 last summer. They were pretty sure the new Fusion HU and NMEA remote would not need injected power to operate. And their specs from Fusion were wrong, so they were wrong. But they went out of their way to offer me the parts to make it right with quick shipping. Kudos to the team there.

I came to find, I could get the parts cheaper and quicker through Amazon, but they offered and updated their documentation, and that was a class act on them.

Seriously, any these head units can be made to work. But they would be the ones to tell you how much harness work you may have to do, to make it work, and have the harnesses on hand if needed. In my case, I was going to a JL Amp, so any HU would work.

On the note of the remote, if you have to swap it, don't fret over it. Take it as a small challenge that will benefit you a much better quality remote, with more features and probably replace a remote that is over due to fail anyway. Our remote on the swimdeck has the exact same display as the HU and all the same options. It was well worth the upgrade.

Good luck!

I went with the Fusion MS-RA70NSX and the wired remote for the transom MS-NRX300. I had to make a plate and use the Fusion din mounting kit for the radio, but it works great. There is also the NMEA power connection needed to supply power to the wired remote. The hole for the transom remote was a little larger that the Fusion remote, that is why you see the foam under the remote, to fill the slight gap.
thumbnail_IMG_7937.jpgthumbnail_IMG_7940.jpg

Looks pretty good.I was wondering about the hole size in the dash.I figured it wouldnt be straight forward,just wanted to see how some of you have overcome it.

One of my winter projects is to replace this radio..its been waterlogged for years. Not sure what to replace it with, cause this area spends a lot of time underwater with the Fatsac being used.
BC38809A-3DB2-468C-B897-17310572D33F.jpeg

I am hoping to replace ours this winter or spring, and will sell you ours (same remote) if you are interested. No issues. I just want something newer.

I am hoping to replace ours this winter or spring, and will sell you ours (same remote) if you are interested. No issues. I just want something newer.
I'm doing the same... I want to change up and get away from stock stuff. I've been doing car audio for about 25 years now... Might be cool to do a full build. At first I wanted to keep it simple, but I think the bug is biting.

Looking for suggestions for replacing our factory Clarion stereo. When replacing the stereo does the rear unit also have to be replaced?

Including your goal and budget might be helpful with providing suggestions. What do you envision your future setup accomplishing?

As others have pointed out sticking with a Clarion headunit would most likely be the most straightforward and allow continued use of the stern remote.

Back