• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Replacing Fuel Vent

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I undertook a job to replace the fuel vent in the hopes it will correct my issue with the gas pump cutting off frequently when filling up. (The theory being that it can't vent fast enough. The old vent's screen is well blocked, at least 50%.) My issue now is that the newer/current vents are slightly larger than the old one (luckily the pipe part is the same, so no issues with hose size.) The old one fits in a 3/4" hole, but the new one needs a 7/8' hole. While I have a 7/8"hole saw, it is meant for new hole, i.e. an arbor to guide it, which won't work here. I guess a step drill bit is the right option, but I'll have to buy one, I don't have that size. I could also just dunk the old vent in CLR and reuse it. What would you do?

3979FC02-8144-4F8B-98E1-D631EEE4EAC6.jpeg
8A39E957-1D9D-4D77-9231-833279201E8B.jpeg

You already did the work of removing it! A step drill bit is a tool I only recently purchased and it's pretty cool to use. The old vent has enough corrosion it has been permanently marred(I think, from what I can tell in the picture) Get the stepper drill and go for it would be my vote.

This is what I got, but it was 2017, so you should search again in case better options have come up.

I undertook a job to replace the fuel vent in the hopes it will correct my issue with the gas pump cutting off frequently when filling up. (The theory being that it can't vent fast enough. The old vent's screen is well blocked, at least 50%.) My issue now is that the newer/current vents are slightly larger than the old one (luckily the pipe part is the same, so no issues with hose size.) The old one fits in a 3/4" hole, but the new one needs a 7/8' hole. While I have a 7/8"hole saw, it is meant for new hole, i.e. an arbor to guide it, which won't work here. I guess a step drill bit is the right option, but I'll have to buy one, I don't have that size. I could also just dunk the old vent in CLR and reuse it. What would you do?

View attachment 148142
View attachment 148141
Did you check to make sure there were no kinks in the fuel or vent line? I had that same problem and it turned out to be a kinked fuel line.

The fuel line is good, at least what I can see of it. I also probed the vent line and it is good for ~2.5’ until I hit something.

Did you check to make sure there were no kinks in the fuel or vent line? I had that same problem and it turned out to be a kinked fuel line.

Repair completed. I had a slight issue with the step bit, it caught on the hole while going in reverse, to protect the gelcoat, and ended up chipping. Maybe I should have just gone in forward. At least the vent covers it. I used a file to chamfer the gelcoat around the hole.
CE43E7A2-693A-4F42-9BBF-9B8DBABE44CF.jpeg4D7240E5-CFBA-44B5-A706-6AFFC689D622.jpeg45A6890F-7994-48A4-A561-EB799225E6C9.jpegBF63A2B7-A651-4124-8DCD-A8CFEA5E9A9F.jpeg
@Nfinlay1 Below is a shot of the fuel line, it does have a slight upward kink and loop. I think it is by design, to prevent fuel coming backup, and doesn't appear that significant. If I see no change in performance with the new vent then this could very well be my problem.
F1DEB466-A2C8-42B2-9157-04B11A7D7B61_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited:
Back